Author Topic: Screen/ wind noise  (Read 1247 times)

Offline hi8prt

• Crossrunner Junior
  • Bike: VFR 800XCDC
  • City / Town: Scunthorpe
Screen/ wind noise
on: December 17, 2021, 12:47:29 AM
Hi all I have searched the site but still not arrived at a conclusive answer. I have a 2018 CR with the adjustable screen my issue is wind noise, it's terrible no buffering only noise. I'm 6'1" and my helmet is the Shoie Neotec2 and never experienced anything like it ,my second bike is a Vstrom 650 fitted with a Givi screen and it is close to silent. I am looking for a screen that will help with this issue I don't want to be purchasing multiple screens due to the expense involved.Thanks in advance for your input cheers Phil

Offline Skids

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: 2018 800X
  • City / Town: Hitchin
Re: Screen/ wind noise
Reply #1 on: December 17, 2021, 06:29:58 PM
*Originally Posted by hi8prt [+]
Hi all I have searched the site but still not arrived at a conclusive answer. I have a 2018 CR with the adjustable screen my issue is wind noise, it's terrible no buffering only noise. I'm 6'1" and my helmet is the Shoie Neotec2 and never experienced anything like it ,my second bike is a Vstrom 650 fitted with a Givi screen and it is close to silent. I am looking for a screen that will help with this issue I don't want to be purchasing multiple screens due to the expense involved.Thanks in advance for your input cheers Phil

I don't think there is a conclusive answer. Screens are so individual, it depends on your overall height, your torso length, arms, neck etc etc so it is notoriously very difficult to find something to suit without trying different things.

Sorry. JMHO.
98 VFR800 - 130,000 miles, 08 VFR800 - 76,000 miles, 15 VFR800X - 44,000 miles (all sold)
14 VFR1200 - 20,000 miles
18 VFR800X - 16,000 miles
01 VFR800 Fi-1 - 0 miles (yet)

Offline CBM

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Crossrunner
  • City / Town: NW London
Reply #2 on: December 18, 2021, 07:33:11 AM
Unfortunately Phil a search on here will very much underline Skids post, one size definitely doesn't Fit All.

Offline Topefisher

• Crossrunner Junior
  • Bike: 2020 vfr800 x
  • City / Town: Hyde
Reply #3 on: December 19, 2021, 07:31:04 AM
Hi, I have a 2019/2020 model with the std Honda adjustable screen. Am 6ft tall and find the std screen reasonable with the Neotec 1.

I wanted a taller screen for the Winter so have put on the Givi D1157ST. I am using this in the lowest position ( still higher than the stock screen ) and find there is slightly more wind noise than on the OEM. I raise it a click when i feel the need. It looks really well on the bike.
I dont really get any sort of buffeting from any of these just noise.

I looked at the Powerbronze which seems to be OK reviewed but didnt like the shape.

I have had some success with the good make clamp on top screen deflectors on other bikes I have had and although I still have one I haven't tried it on the Honda yet.

Come spring I will probably be putting the OEM screen back on as I quite liked it.

As others have said, the screen selection on bikes is very subjective so trial and error may be the way to go, but costly. If you can accept the shape of the Powerbronze it may be a wise choice.

On a footnote, my mate has a Neotec 2 and it isnt that good anyway for wind noise. They are megga comfy but I wouldnt buy one because of the chin bar latching weaknesses. I have a Nolan Modular as well N100-5 which is the most quiet helmet I have out of a couple of other modulars I
Also own.

I am pinning my hopes on the Shuberth C5 which I tried on at the NEC. Its the only Shuberth that ever fitted me properly and has good preliminary reviews.

Good luck with your choice(s)

Current bikes: 99’ Triumph Trident 900, 2020 Harley FatBob, 2020 VFR 800x.

Offline hi8prt

• Crossrunner Junior
  • Bike: VFR 800XCDC
  • City / Town: Scunthorpe
Reply #4 on: December 19, 2021, 10:38:55 PM
Thanks guy's I think I will wait until the spring and then go for one ??? come the better weather I will feel more like playing with it. Have to say had no issues with my other bikes, my cruisers with no screen nor the Vstrom with the larger Givi screen I will just have to bide my time and keep watching posts  :012:

Online Newbs1ok

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #5 on: January 04, 2022, 09:02:20 PM
As others have said there is no hard and fast answer to this question , it’s very much trial and error

On my 2015 I found the standard screen noisy

Purchased Powerbronze  adjuster brackets and improved with some playing around but not perfect

Managed to change  to a larger Skidmarx screen from the manufacturer,  ( who are local too me and managed to get it discounted ) and things  improved but I found in hot weather couldn’t lower screen  enough to get cool fresh air

Changed screen to MRA Vario  only and things improved

Then refitted  with Powerbronze  adjusters and things got better

With the adjusters and the flip on the MRA screen I am pretty happy with the set up as it gives me various positions for the  different weather conditions

I am not saying it’s the Holy Grail but it works for me

I am 6’2” and wear a Schuberth C4

I hope this helps

Current Bikes
VFR 800 X 2015 and BMW R850GS 1999
Previous bikes
Too many to mention in 46 wonderful years of riding on the road ,  everyone of them have given my stacks of fun and satisfaction

recent