Offline Laurance

• Crossrunner Junior
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: VFR800x
    • City / Town: Woodhall Spa
    Quickshifter
    on: April 24, 2022, 12:57:15 am
    April 24, 2022, 12:57:15 am
    I’m just back to biking after 20 years raising a family and therefore trying to catch up on the tech bits, anyone enlighten me on how a quick shifter works on the CR and the benefits

• Offline Skids   gb

• Crossrunner Master  ‐    1656

Offline Skids

• Crossrunner Master
    • Bike: 2018 800X
    • City / Town: Hitchin
    Re: Quickshifter
    Reply #1 on: April 24, 2022, 08:14:12 am
    April 24, 2022, 08:14:12 am
    *Originally Posted by Laurance [+]
    I’m just back to biking after 20 years raising a family and therefore trying to catch up on the tech bits, anyone enlighten me on how a quick shifter works on the CR and the benefits

Replaces the standard gear lever and has an additional electrical output which you connect to the matching plug on the bike (should come with instructions but it's easy to find).

When you move the gear lever up (so don't pre-select by putting upwards pressure on like you can do on standard gear lever), an electrical signal is sent to the ECU which backs off the rpm slightly, taking the load off the gearbox. The gear then selects easily. What this allows is near instantaneous upshifts at any throttle setting without the use of the clutch. It was originally designed for racing use with the throttle pinned fully open but is fun on a road bike because you don't have to be at full throttle to use it.

Doesn't work for downshifts on the Crossie (it does on more modern bikes, my son just bought a CB1000R and it downshifts as well) and you could argue that it is a bit pointless because you can upshift clutchlessly, if that's a word, on a non-modified bike but the QS does it far, far quicker than you can manually.

And it is a hoot.

YMMV.  :031:
    98 VFR800 - 130,000 miles, 08 VFR800 - 76,000 miles, 15 VFR800X - 44,000 miles (all sold)
    14 VFR1200 - 20,000 miles
    18 VFR800X - 16,000 miles
    01 VFR800 Fi-1 - 0 miles (yet)

• Offline Goon   gb

• Crossrunner Member  ‐    75

Offline Goon

• Crossrunner Member
    • Bike: Vfr800x
    • City / Town: Swansea
    Reply #2 on: April 24, 2022, 06:59:04 pm
    April 24, 2022, 06:59:04 pm
    I have one on my Suzuki and have disconnected it. I don't really like it, it seems too sensitive unless theres an adjustment. I ride with my foot close to or touching the gear lever and as soon as the bike hits a bump or goes over uneven ground the engine is cutting as if the shifter wants to change. I tried it a few times but decided to unplug for good. Try one out on a similar bike before wasting money, you may not like it.

• Online voodoo   nl

• Crossrunner Master  ‐    507

Online voodoo

• Crossrunner Master
    • Bike: RC80
    • City / Town: The Hague
    Reply #3 on: April 24, 2022, 08:06:06 pm
    April 24, 2022, 08:06:06 pm
    And I am inbetween Goon and Skids.  :016:

I don't really like or dislike the quickshifter.
    Probably the muscle-memory in my left hand is to strong?
    But on really fast acceleration/overtakes it can be fun.  :046:
    Stop making sense

• Offline Kalamity Ken

• Crossrunner Member  ‐    54

Offline Kalamity Ken

• Crossrunner Member
    • Bike: VFR800X
    • City / Town: Bristol
    Reply #4 on: April 25, 2022, 06:00:15 pm
    April 25, 2022, 06:00:15 pm
    Just fitted one to my CR and it's smoother than upshifting manually.  Good for rapid overtakes and for reminding you of your younger hooligan years.  I will use mine more often than not.

Dealers currently have stocks that they are selling off so you may be able to pick up a bargain.  I paid £152.99 for mine delivered from HGB Honda.

• Offline Mossy

• Crossrunner Member  ‐    26

Offline Mossy

• Crossrunner Member
    • Bike: Crossrunner 800
    • City / Town: Horsham
    Reply #5 on: May 03, 2022, 11:52:14 am
    May 03, 2022, 11:52:14 am
    I've got one fitted on mine and I have a love hate relationship with it, sometimes it shifts great, nice and smooth.
    Other times (more often than not) it stutters and stumbles, resulting in a really unappealing shift which I could of done better manually.

I've noticed it tends to do it at around 4500 rpm quite frequently, especially in 1st and 2nd.
    Instead of a nice blip and shift its a hard cutoff and the bike hunkers down on the front then seesaws back when the power kicks back in.

I'm not certain if there's a way of adjusting it to be more OEM or standardized due to complete lack of documentation for it anywhere (not mentioned in the handbook)
    But with mine, I've got used to using it, but very frequently I'm left with a sour taste in my mouth when shifting in moderate traffic,
    it only seems to work 'ok' at best when cranking it into high rpm (7000+) and only in gears above 3rd and even then I've had moments when hunkering down, pushing the bike in a corner and shifting and the bike has just turned off power to my rear wheel for a whole second causing me to skip a bit.
    Put my heart in my mouth for sure, and made me question if it was a lazy setup.

If anyone has any information on its setup and if it can be fixed, that would be great. If its 'normal' then yea, Id avoid it.

• Offline Skids   gb

Offline Skids

• Crossrunner Master
    Reply #6 on: May 03, 2022, 02:51:27 pm
    May 03, 2022, 02:51:27 pm
    *Originally Posted by Mossy [+]
    I've got one fitted on mine and I have a love hate relationship with it, sometimes it shifts great, nice and smooth.
    Other times (more often than not) it stutters and stumbles, resulting in a really unappealing shift which I could of done better manually.

I've noticed it tends to do it at around 4500 rpm quite frequently, especially in 1st and 2nd.
    Instead of a nice blip and shift its a hard cutoff and the bike hunkers down on the front then seesaws back when the power kicks back in.

I'm not certain if there's a way of adjusting it to be more OEM or standardized due to complete lack of documentation for it anywhere (not mentioned in the handbook)
    But with mine, I've got used to using it, but very frequently I'm left with a sour taste in my mouth when shifting in moderate traffic,
    it only seems to work 'ok' at best when cranking it into high rpm (7000+) and only in gears above 3rd and even then I've had moments when hunkering down, pushing the bike in a corner and shifting and the bike has just turned off power to my rear wheel for a whole second causing me to skip a bit.
    Put my heart in my mouth for sure, and made me question if it was a lazy setup.

If anyone has any information on its setup and if it can be fixed, that would be great. If its 'normal' then yea, Id avoid it.

That's not how mine behaves, mind you I don't use it to change into 2nd, only 3rd and upwards.

Are you sure you're not pre-selecting the gear (upwards pressure without changing gear, just prior to changing gear) as this can often give the symptoms you describe.
    98 VFR800 - 130,000 miles, 08 VFR800 - 76,000 miles, 15 VFR800X - 44,000 miles (all sold)

• Offline Mossy

Offline Mossy

• Crossrunner Member
    Reply #7 on: May 03, 2022, 04:55:31 pm
    May 03, 2022, 04:55:31 pm
    *Originally Posted by Skids [+]
    That's not how mine behaves, mind you I don't use it to change into 2nd, only 3rd and upwards.

Are you sure you're not pre-selecting the gear (upwards pressure without changing gear, just prior to changing gear) as this can often give the symptoms you describe.

I thought of this as a reason why when I first encountered it, but this is a prolonged issue even with very positive pressure being applied and the foot completely off the changer lever.
    As I stated though, its highly possible if the selector has a factory setting, it may not be in it. And so would very much appreciate if anyone knows of any documentation on it.

• Offline Skids   gb

Offline Skids

• Crossrunner Master
    Reply #8 on: May 03, 2022, 05:12:46 pm
    May 03, 2022, 05:12:46 pm
    *Originally Posted by Mossy [+]
    I thought of this as a reason why when I first encountered it, but this is a prolonged issue even with very positive pressure being applied and the foot completely off the changer lever.
    As I stated though, its highly possible if the selector has a factory setting, it may not be in it. And so would very much appreciate if anyone knows of any documentation on it.

The only documentation I have seen is the installation instructions that came with mine. I think they are available online.

• Offline Mossy

Offline Mossy

• Crossrunner Member
    Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 07:28:32 pm by Mossy

recent