Author Relocating 2x VFR's from Southern England to North East Scotland. Old Vs Newer.  (Read 1013 times)

• Offline mrvelcrofast   scotland

• Crossrunner Pro  ‐    111
    • Topic Author

Offline mrvelcrofast

• Crossrunner Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: VFR800X,VFR750FV
    • City / Town: Macduff
    Relocating 2x VFR's from Southern England to North East Scotland. Old Vs Newer.
    on: September 24, 2022, 12:43:15 pm
    September 24, 2022, 12:43:15 pm
    This year I decided I'd had enough of the rat race in London.
    I'd been working as a Motorcycle Courier on and off for over 30 years and I was feeling burnt out.

After many months pondering, I finally bought a traditional Fishermans cottage on the north coast of Aberdeenshire.
    I got the keys just before Christmas 2021.
    Spent the New Year there. The weather was a bit of an eye opener!! Very glad I went in the car!

Did the first major move in a hired Luton Van in April this year. Managed to get almost everything in.
    But this didn't include the bikes; knew I'd have to ride them up individually.

In May I got the train from Aberdeen down to London to collect the CR. I would be riding it back up to Scotland in 2 stages.
    Luckily I have a mate who lives in Moffat which is pretty much half way.
    So stopped off there overnight and headed off across country early the next morning on the old Edinburgh road.
    I can honestly say I gave the CR a proper thrashing along that amazing road and was in south Edinburgh before I knew it!
    The rest of the journey was plain sailing. Headed up on the M90 towards Aberdeen.

So one down, one to go!

My old 125K miles VFR 1997 750FV would have to wait till August.
    My sister was getting married (AGAIN!) and I was due to come down from Aberdeen to be the wedding photographer in Bognor Regis, West Sussex.
    I'd left the bike in my sister's garage in late March and it had sat there gathering dust.
    I wasn't sure it would even start; Having left it there for that long, I thought the battery would probably be flat?!
    But it wasn't. It started like I'd ridden it yesterday! Amazing.

Left my sister's at 9am and headed West along the A27 to pick up the A34 and get on the M40 at Oxford, then straight up the M6.
    I thought about stopping half way at my mate's place again in Moffat, but decided to play it by ear.
    I was making really good pace. I forgot how effortless that old 750 was.
    By 3pm I was over the border and heading towards Glasgow on the M74.
    It was too early to stop at my mate's place, and he wouldn't be back from work till after 6pm anyway.
    I made the executive decision to carry on all the way!
    Not only that, I would go the long way back via Glen Coe (something I'd only ever done in a car).
    The A82 besides Loch Lomond was incredible. It's one of those roads every bike owner should ride.

Even though the bike was fully loaded, I still did it justice, grounding out the centre stand many times.
    By 6pm I was taking a break in Fort William. Feeling surprisingly good (probably high on endorphins!).
    From there I headed up to Spean Bridge and turned off towards Aviemore.
    This was another amazing road. Fast and flowing and no cars in sight. Just what VFR's are made for.

After nearly running out of fuel (the fuel stations all seem to close early in Scotland!) I finally ended up at my new home just after midnight.
    I'd covered 767 miles from door to door!

This journey really made me appreciate just how good the old 750FV was.
    OK so the CR is amazing tool. The riding position is way better suited for long distance.
    You've got the added upper body weather protection from the higher fairing and screen.
    But the riding experience isn't as involving as the 750.
    The 750 is a much more raw and involving motorcycle. It's very stripped down compared to the CR.
    Considerably less refinements and considerably less weight.
    You feel much more connected to the machine. Your decisions as a rider are much more direct.
    I really like the fact it has no ABS. Consistent braking whilst lining the bike up for the next series of apexes is so rewarding.
    Ofcourse this could've been a very different journey if it'd been raining; then I probably would've been cursing having no ABS!

I'd be interested to hear what your views are on the old vs new subject.

Anyone else think that the last of the 750's was one of Hondas best?

Bailey.

ps. Please excuse the state of my CR in the pics. It's had a hard 120K miles life! The paint wear on the engine casing was from using a Tucano Urbano Granny Blanket over the winter!
         Now I have more time on my hands, I might try and get it painted up.

• Offline voodoo   nl

• Crossrunner Master  ‐    520

Offline voodoo

• Crossrunner Master
    • Bike: RC80
    • City / Town: The Hague
    Re: Relocating 2x VFR's from Southern England to North East Scotland. Old Vs New
    Reply #1 on: September 24, 2022, 04:47:57 pm
    September 24, 2022, 04:47:57 pm
    I've got an 800fi and a crossrunner, if I had to choose the crossie would definitely stay!
    The ergo's suit me better at 6'4" and the package is more allround.
    Stop making sense

• Topic Author

Offline mrvelcrofast

• Crossrunner Pro
    • Topic Author
    Re: Relocating 2x VFR's from Southern England to North East Scotland. Old Vs New
    Reply #2 on: September 24, 2022, 05:08:06 pm
    September 24, 2022, 05:08:06 pm
    *Originally Posted by voodoo [+]
    I've got an 800fi and a crossrunner, if I had to choose the crossie would definitely stay!
    The ergo's suit me better at 6'4" and the package is more allround.

I'm at the other end of the height spectrum. I just about manage with the CR. I have the front forks lowered (I prefer the faster steering!) and I've also put handlebar risers on for improved ergos!

Did you have any of the earlier VFR's or was the fi your first?

• Offline Corringdon

• Crossrunner Master  ‐    367

Offline Corringdon

• Crossrunner Master
    • Loving it all
    • Bike: 2019 Crossrunner
    • City / Town: Tiverton, Devon
    Reply #3 on: September 24, 2022, 05:32:15 pm
    September 24, 2022, 05:32:15 pm
    A very wise move I'd say, Mr Velcrofast.
    I totally agree with Voodoo as I am of the same dimensions as he is.
    Some of my past bikes. Norton ES2 - Norton 650SS - Velocette Venom - Velocette Thruxton Venom - Kawasaki Z1100  ST - Kawasaki GPZ 1100 B2 - Honda CB500.

• Offline voodoo   nl

Offline voodoo

• Crossrunner Master
    Reply #4 on: September 24, 2022, 05:33:22 pm
    September 24, 2022, 05:33:22 pm
    I had an rc36/1 for a while, didn't really like it.
    Stop making sense

• Topic Author

Offline mrvelcrofast

• Crossrunner Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #5 on: September 24, 2022, 05:53:41 pm
    September 24, 2022, 05:53:41 pm
    *Originally Posted by Corringdon [+]
    A very wise move I'd say, Mr Velcrofast.
    I totally agree with Voodoo as I am of the same dimensions as he is.
    Thanks Mr Corringdon. Great part of the country you are in. I used to frequent James Sherlocks when I rode BMW's!

• Topic Author

Offline mrvelcrofast

• Crossrunner Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: September 24, 2022, 05:57:14 pm
    September 24, 2022, 05:57:14 pm
    *Originally Posted by voodoo [+]
    I had an rc36/1 for a while, didn't really like it.

I should say that I've done a front end swap on my RC36 (it has a CBR600F4i set of forks and brake callipers on currently). It is a vastly improved the bike.

• Offline voodoo   nl

Offline voodoo

• Crossrunner Master
    Reply #7 on: September 24, 2022, 07:22:37 pm
    September 24, 2022, 07:22:37 pm
    Handling wasn'nt the problem. Mainly ergo's and I couldn't get it running right higher up in the rev-range.

And after 10+ years on upright bikes I find it hard to find confidence in sportier bikes.
    Stop making sense

• Offline Corringdon

• Crossrunner Master  ‐    367

Offline Corringdon

• Crossrunner Master
    • Loving it all
    • Bike: 2019 Crossrunner
    • City / Town: Tiverton, Devon
    Reply #8 on: September 25, 2022, 08:51:04 am
    September 25, 2022, 08:51:04 am
    *Originally Posted by mrvelcrofast [+]
    Thanks Mr Corringdon. Great part of the country you are in. I used to frequent James Sherlocks when I rode BMW's!
    James Sherlock, yes. I know where their outlet is in South Molton but, never having had a Beemer, I had no cause to visit the place.
    South Molton is a fair old drag from London just for BMW bits.
    I left The Big Smoke in 1985.
    Some of my past bikes. Norton ES2 - Norton 650SS - Velocette Venom - Velocette Thruxton Venom - Kawasaki Z1100  ST - Kawasaki GPZ 1100 B2 - Honda CB500.

• Offline Skids   gb

• Crossrunner Master  ‐    1680

Offline Skids

• Crossrunner Master
    • Bike: 2018 800X
    • City / Town: Hitchin
    Reply #9 on: September 25, 2022, 09:59:23 am
    September 25, 2022, 09:59:23 am
    Interesting post Bailey, thanks. I can't blame you for leaving the rat race, you couldn't pay me enough to live in London but I know some folk love it which just goes to highlight, with especial relevance to your old/modern bike point, that we are all different, from our gut microbes to our biking wants and where we like to live. It would be an awful world if we all liked the same things.

Mrs Skids & I got back yesterday from a week on the bike (VFR1200) in Scotland. Stayed in Crieff with some friends and rode a few of their "Crieff Cloverleaf" routes. A couple of mates had Crossrunners and it was fun riding behind them on some of the twisties.

As to your question regarding the older and the newer VFRs, I guess again it all comes down to individual taste/desires. I've had several VFRs, a 98, 08, 15X and now commute on my 18X. I also have a VFR1200 for touring. I've never owned an earlier model and whilst I would like to try the carb version to see how much smoother they were vs the current Fi models, I do like the modern developments like ABS, better brakes etc. So maybe it is theses modern developments that distance us from the bikes; I know someone who said his Ducati Multuistrada made him feel like he was disconnected from the road and he thought it was due to the amount of technology between himself and the road. Who knows?

Curiously, earlier this year I bought a very low mileage 01 VFR800 Fi-Y and have spent the last 6 months getting her back to road standard (all rubbers & fluids plus brake strip and braided hoses etc). Perhaps a desire to rekindle a love of something from the past despite an obvious preference for more modern tech?  :027:

Either way, diversity is the new celebration and can applied to lots of things and we are all the better for it, IMHO.  :031:
    98 VFR800 - 130,000 miles, 08 VFR800 - 76,000 miles, 15 VFR800X - 44,000 miles (all sold)
    14 VFR1200 - 20,000 miles
    18 VFR800X - 16,000 miles
    01 VFR800 Fi-1 - 9000 miles