nordkapp

Views: 152
Posted by: Adst
in: Adst
IMG 2655

Views: 292
Posted by: Adst
in: Adst

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: IAM / ROSPA - Rider Training and Qualifications  (Read 3766 times)

Offline xrunjoe

• Crossrunner Master
  • Ex crossrunner owner
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Ex CR owner
  • City / Town: Northampton
IAM / ROSPA - Rider Training and Qualifications
« on: May 05, 2012, 06:27:05 PM »
I may not have explained this previously but I am actually a relative newcomer to biking (this time around after a very long lay off)  - and am considering IAM or maybe ROSPA as a way to gain some more advice/benefit of others experience.  I have done a tester day with local IAM some months ago and found it worthwhile - but before I jump into either I would appreciate any comments from owners who have first hand experience of either.
Suzuki GSX650F, 1250F, Crossrunner, Kawasaki Z1000SX

Smeagol

Re: IAM / ROSPA - Rider Training and Qualifications
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 06:47:10 PM »
I'm in a similar position about deciding if I want to go for either one.

The biggest problem I've seen (heard) about the IAM is lack of consistency between the observers and the variability of their teaching skills.

The best advice I've heard is if you don't agree or get on with your observer ask to be allocated another one, and keep doing that until your happy that your observer.

The worst comment I've heard, from a Rospa examiner, was that when he was looking to be an IAM examiner they wanted quantity of passes not quality that's worrying.

The other thing I find puzzling is that IAM one test is for life whereas Rospa require retesting every 3 years ( a much better idea IMHO )
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 07:00:36 PM by Smeagol »

Offline maxincuk

• Crossrunner Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Swanley
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 09:40:19 PM »
ROSPA is has several levels you can achieve, bronze which any competent rider should be able to obtain, silver which is the equivalent of an IAM pass and the gold which is probably the IAM One (passing the IAM test with top marks).

I passed my IAM test let year and I found it an amazing experience, it changed the way I rode the bike to a much more enjoyable level while pushing the safety as much as possible. I also trained as an Observer but due to my recent change of circumstances I never get to take the test. Nevertheless is a continuous learning experience and there is only good coming your way.

My plans were to also train for ROSPA Gold just to polish my skills and the 3 year retesting would only help to keep those skills up. The KAMG (Kent IAM Group) was incredibly supportive and have loads of activities like monthly ride outs, social meetings, club nights etc. and I found them all reasonable people.

The observers are only there to ... well observe ... and comment on the aspects of your riding in respects to the IAM manual and techniques or Roadcraft for ROSPA. They are only there to guide and help, they are not instructors and they are not supposed to teach. Just make sure you find someone you feel comfortable with and be open towards some constructive criticism.

If you are considering advanced / further training, whichever you choose I'm pretty sure you will enjoy it.

Offline Ruhri

• Ex Member
  • Crossrunner Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda Crosrunner
  • City / Town: Essen
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 10:57:51 AM »

Smeagol

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 11:50:30 AM »
Good luck Guido, relax and enjoy it.  Remember, if it is a similar idea to advanced training in the UK, it's not a test so you don't need to be nervous like I was on my bike test, and nearly fell off pulling out of the test centre.  :034:  The more relaxed you are the more you can get out of it, and the more you will enjoy it.

I've done Bikesafe, a short course in the UK normally organised by the police.  I had a fantastic day riding around some nice roads in Surrey, observed by a police class 1 rider on an unmarked Blackbird  :047: He helped me improve my riding quite a bit and the day was fun as he was so relaxed and it was treated just like a ride out with my  mates, except he gave feedback when we stopped.

To get the most out of any advanced training ride as you would normally do, then you can gain the maximum benefit from the instructors comments.  If you try to ride differently to normal the instructor will not be able to help you correct any problem areas you may have, as he can't see them!

As usual with any training the success depends on the instructor, or observer if your IAM, I don't care what they want to call it but the observers are there to teach you the techniques to pass your test so they are instructors  :007:  If your instructor is poor you will not get the most out of your training.  On my last day training before my test the instructor I had spent the day shouting about any mistakes made, didn't help the nerves on test day  :026:

Offline Ruhri

• Ex Member
  • Crossrunner Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 12:25:16 PM »

danesman

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 03:15:06 PM »
On Monday of this week I signed for the IAM course, not only am I looking to become a better/safer rider I'm hoping to enjoy the course and the experience. First rideout likely to be towards the end of the month. Can't wait !
Hopefully the sun will be shining   :008:

Offline Ruhri

• Ex Member
  • Crossrunner Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 08:09:13 AM »
Good morning,

yesterday I finished my first motorbike intensive training.
Started 8.30 a.m finished 6.00 pm.

We were eleven in the group,with all parts of bikes.my collegue ZX10-R ,his grilfriend Z1000,beginners with XT125 and CBR125,Enduros ans so on.

I was a fantastic experience to find out the perfomance of the CR.
Greate CBS7ABS.We make emergency stops on wet streets(50 and 60 Km/h),no problem.
main problem,to have no fear to do that :001:.

handling:the first  slalom I drove for me ok...but after some hints from the instructor I flow through the parcor without any problems and far from the limit.

at the we tested breaking in the curves without coming up with bike...yes,it is possible.

The last 30 Minutes,curves,curves ,curves and the CR loves it...I guess only the 125ccm were better to handle  :084:.

I learned many,many new things and I was not my last training(fun,fun,fun)...next step perfection training 1  :016:.

But one worst thing was happend.The sun was very intensive yesterday and during the trainer explain some action,we were waiting without helmets....hmmm,I have no realy hair on the top and no I have some red teint :230: :034: :008:.

So my hint:If sun is possible,put some cap in your pocket :028: :031:.

And if possible,visist each year one training :028:

Br
Guido

Smeagol

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 08:53:07 AM »
Sounds like a great day Ruhri.  Glad you enjoyed it, and improved your riding.  :152:

If only we had some sun over here to get a "red head"  :164:

Offline Slidy

• Crossrunner Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Cleobury
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 03:55:56 PM »
Two years ago, I did a 'Take Control' course which was run by/for the Warwickshire constabulary.
It was an enjoyable day, and I did pick up a few pointers, and overall I think it did improve my riding confidence, if not skills.

It was just meant to be me and the instructor out for the day, but a DSA rep turned up to assess the instructor on this particular day. So, I had the instructor giving me advice on my riding at each stop, with the DSA fella listening in.
After 6 hours out, with a few stops, we ended up grabbing a coffee and chatting.

The interesting thing was that we all asked questions on each others riding style, and after a while it became apparent that we ALL do things slightly differently which are equally as safe.

I was told at one point while waiting at a red light that I shouldn't put both feet down as it 'Looks daft'. I explained that i do most of my riding with a pillion, and luggage, making the bike more top heavy, I am 6ft1 and can easily put both feet flat on the ground with legs slightly bent. Not only making it more comfortable, but more stable. . . . . Safety before looks in my book.
The Instructor told me that he doesn't always indicate as 'its one more thing to remember, turning the indicator off' . . . . The DSA rep and myself shared a look at that one!
At one point, I was told that I wasn't far enough over to the right when taking a left hand bend, but the rider who was immediately behind me explained that the hedge where I was was so low that I could see clearly over it and round the bend, so in fact there was NO vanishing point and he was happy with my road position.
I WAS riding to close to vehicles waiting for an overtake, and learned some good moves to make my overtaking safer.

I think what I'm saying is:

A course is worth it for confidence building, and no matter how good we think we are, there are always more things to pick up.

Don't be surprised if you take the same course, with two different instructors, being told (slightly) different things.

Relax, and ride in your usual style, or the instructor wont be able to improve/comment on how you normally ride.

Above all, Enjoy the day!

recent