Recent Gallery Images

cleaned for winter

Views: 53
Posted by: Adst
in: Adst

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Continental Tyres one problem  (Read 4082 times)

Offline Rocker66

• Crossrunner Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2011 Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Ashford Kent
Continental Tyres one problem
« on: June 02, 2012, 10:35:10 AM »
As I mentioned in another thread I have been very pleased with my Continental tyres up until my trip to Scotland this week. I found that in exposed areas such as on the M^ going over Shap & the Erskine bridge they made the bike feel slightly unstable. This never felt dangerous or unnerving but was definitely noticeable. I suppose this the trade off for the fact that they quicken the steering
4 wheels move the body 2 wheels move the soul
Audere est Facere

Shaunomercy

Re: Continental Tyres one problem
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 02:58:09 PM »
As you said rocker, its down to the profile.  The contis certainly speed up the steering and give lovely feed back.  Ive got to admit on the vtec 800f I never noticed any instability issue.  I read in mcn the other week, yes I bought an issue cause it was all about the history of hondas v4 that there was a brief tire test.  The conti ra 2 still proving to be a very good tire against the competition.  What did surprise was the new metzler bettered the new pilot road 3.  And at least mcn admitted the pilot road 3 slowed the steering.

Paul

Offline Rocker66

• Crossrunner Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 03:07:05 PM »
I was going to go for the PR3 next but maybe I will consider the new Metzeler. Having recycled my copy of MCN can you remember what the Metzelers were called?
Audere est Facere

Offline Rocker66

• Crossrunner Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 08:30:40 PM »
Thanks for the link
Audere est Facere

Offline xrunjoe

• Crossrunner Master
  • Ex crossrunner owner
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Ex CR owner
  • City / Town: Northampton
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 01:36:49 PM »
I agree that PR3's I now have fitted do slow the steering down but not to an extent which worried me and maybe this is the trade for good grip? What I liked in recent all weather distance trip was the confidence they gave in wet conditions - particularly when very wet.
Suzuki GSX650F, 1250F, Crossrunner, Kawasaki Z1000SX

Offline Ralf73

• Crossrunner Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Munich
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 04:35:07 PM »
Last week I got new tires (After 15.000 Km the original tires, Pirelli, had been at their end - especially the front wheel).

I have now the Metzeler Roadtec Z8 Interact. After about 500 Km I must say, that the feeling is very good and safe (dry and wet streets).

Link to Metzeler: http://www.metzelermoto.co.uk/web/products/newproducts/roadtecz8/default.page

In the German magazine "Motorradfahrer" has been a big 10000 km test about the Crossrunner. They checked some tires, too. The Metzeler had the best result.

Shaunomercy

Offline Mitch

• Crossrunner Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda VFR800X
  • City / Town: Sydney
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 07:40:45 AM »
What tyres come standard on the CR in UK / europe?
Over here they come with Pirelli Scorpion trails.
Oh Sh*t!' is usually the moment when your plan parts ways with reality

Smeagol

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2012, 11:36:34 AM »
Scorpion trails here as well.  They performed really well for me in Scotland, all dry riding.  A mate I was riding with kept commenting that the little Scorpions on the edge of the tire were worn away  :008:  I did have some twitches from the rear end with the Scorpions in the wet.

After a puncture I have just fitted PR3's so far seem good, but not had a chance to work them hard yet.

The fitter I use had fitted Metzeler Z8, to a couriers bike, the guy who used it wouldn't have another one fitted when it wore out.  Couldn't get any info as to why or what bike it was.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 11:39:10 AM by Smeagol »