Recent Gallery Images

From Turkiye

Views: 106
Posted by: forallende
in: Members Albums

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Breaking in your CR  (Read 5307 times)

Offline SwissVFR

• Crossrunner Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 87VFR + 2011CR
  • City / Town: St-Legier
Breaking in your CR
« on: June 12, 2012, 08:24:23 PM »
I guess that would be running-in for you Brits...   :001:

Since I only picked up my machine on Saturday and it was the only day I had to ride...  I've got just over 100 km on the clock...  I asked the dealer about breaking it in, all he said was to make sure the thing is warmed up well before revving it and to "take it a bit easy", not to flog it too hard and to wear in the brake pads gradually...  All the owners manual says is about the same thing -for the first 500 km to avoid opening the throttle wide and really hard acceleration/braking...

So I am taking it reasonably easy, but I'm not babying it either.  I haven't had it above about 8K or so, but I did want to hear the VTEC kick in occasionally...  I'm not riding steady speeds on highways (hate that), all I really like are mountain and country roads, so you do need to use the gas and brakes...   :017:

I've heard theories that you do need to keep the RPM's varied and use the whole range (well, not to redline it necessarily) for it to wear in the best....  What say you?

Cheers,  --sv

Offline xrunjoe

• Crossrunner Master
  • Ex crossrunner owner
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Ex CR owner
  • City / Town: Northampton
Re: Breaking in your CR
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 08:46:40 PM »
Sounds about right -  :028:. when I first had mine I did exactly what you say for the first 600 miles. Just warmed it up thouroughly and used the rev range and brakes as smoothly and varied as possible and avoiding any sudden heavy acceleration or lengthy periods at high revs - particularly in lower gears. Some people say that you really have to hammer a bike to do it anyharm in its firts 100 miles - but I would rather take it steady, show the bike some repect  - helps learn all about the bike while you are doing it as well - no surprises then when you "give it some welly" later. :008:
Suzuki GSX650F, 1250F, Crossrunner, Kawasaki Z1000SX

Smeagol

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 08:49:40 PM »
In the old days engines needed to be run in carefully due to inferior manufacturing.  This is when constant speed was not advised as engines wear least when they run at constant revs, without labouring the engine, so it would prolong the running in period.

These days engines are made to better tolerances, and are run on an electric motor at the factory to bed in the components.

Brakes and tyres need about 100 miles of careful use, brakes to allow the pads to wear to the shape of the discs and tyres to get rid of mould release and scrub the shiny surface off.  SO you should be safe to use your brakes and tyres more now.

I did the same as you, gentle acceleration, don't let the engine labour and keep the revs within about 8000.  I kept this up until 1st service and then increased revs and acceleration for another 400 miles.  After that I was off to Scotland so I used the engine fully  :152:  I couldn't bare to restrict myself on those fabulous roads  :007:

Some say that using the engine fully straight away will give get the maximum power out of the engine, I doubt it will be much more than a few BHP, and I would be concerned about how long the engine would last with this treatment.

I would always follow Honda's guidance and do as you are doing.  :047:

Shaunomercy

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 10:47:45 PM »
yep best advice is to treat it gently.  also please note.  vtec wont operate with an engine temp below 68.c
so if its warming up n you stray into vtec zone n it doesnt kick in its honda protecting your engine and nothing to worry about.
paul

Offline Scuderiazar

• Crossrunner Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Crossrunner Camo
  • City / Town: Perth
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 03:57:38 PM »
So its best to let the engine warm up to 68 before taking off?

Shaunomercy

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 10:06:35 AM »
*Originally Posted by Scuderiazar [+]
So its best to let the engine warm up to 68 before taking off?
no. Just start it and leave to idle for a min then ride off.  Just don't rev it above 5k till you can see your temp gauge is in the 60s

Offline Scuderiazar

• Crossrunner Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Crossrunner Camo
  • City / Town: Perth
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 02:32:22 PM »
Yeah I always let my bike warm up before taking off, I only picked up my bike a few days ago so still getting used to it its so smooth and refined compared to my cbr 250r! I am breaking it in kind of gently.

Offline jj welly

• Crossrunner Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: crossrunner
  • City / Town: welwyn garden ci
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 06:44:53 AM »
Yes that bootiful over engineered jewel of a lump, should last forever :152:

Offline merlot

• Crossrunner Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: vfr800x
  • City / Town: triabunna
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2013, 10:20:13 PM »
*Originally Posted by jj welly [+]
Yes that bootiful over engineered jewel of a lump, should last forever :152:

ROFL  :008:
2011 cr..boewulf can..storm handguards..honda heated grips..honda centre stand..2013 peg conversion..throttle body return spring removed..ventura rack