nordkapp

Views: 152
Posted by: Adst
in: Adst
IMG 2655

Views: 292
Posted by: Adst
in: Adst

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Leaking luggage  (Read 4351 times)

Smeagol

Leaking luggage
« on: June 15, 2012, 11:55:58 AM »
Discovered that my, Honda, luggage leaks!  :023:

Top box had a considerable amount of water in it after being left on centre stand overnight with rain.

This morning discovered the Left pannier was full of water after being left on side stand overnight in the rain!

Can't see where the water got in for the top box, but it appears that the left pannier leaked around the locking mechanism.

I haven't ridden in much rain so far so can't comment if it leaks while riding.

Just got back from the dealer who are reporting it to Honda UK for a warranty claim.

Has anyone else had this?

Offline xrunjoe

• Crossrunner Master
  • Ex crossrunner owner
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Ex CR owner
  • City / Town: Northampton
Re: Leaking luggage
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 02:50:12 PM »
Yes - when I got back from Eurp Trip - last day in very heavy rain for hours on end - I found some water had got into left hand pannier. I have put it down to severe conditions and in any event I wrap some waterproofing round inside of the pannier anyway to prevent leakage into internal bags.
I might try a power wash on them to see how good or otherwise they actually are. TBH - I am not really taken with them and would prefer Givi V35's anytime.
Suzuki GSX650F, 1250F, Crossrunner, Kawasaki Z1000SX

Smeagol

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 04:16:05 PM »
I know what you mean, they don't inspire confidence.  If they weren't free I would have gone for the Givi, and got more space as well!

But leaking just because they got rained on a little bit is useless.

Offline xrunjoe

• Crossrunner Master
  • Ex crossrunner owner
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Ex CR owner
  • City / Town: Northampton
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 09:06:55 PM »
I know that I rammed mine full and that the gap when closed is now wider - so maybe that's part of the problem. However similar does not happen with Givi - where the overlap twixt inside and outside half is that much wider to start with.
Suzuki GSX650F, 1250F, Crossrunner, Kawasaki Z1000SX

Smeagol

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 09:30:24 PM »
No overloading on mine.

That's really bad if they have stretched just shows how flimsy they are.

Shaunomercy

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 11:06:11 PM »
back to dealer.  honda luggage doesnt leak.  my honda luggage on the vtec never leaked.  i will get my panniers out of the loft next time i wash mine n see if they leak

paul

Offline maxincuk

• Crossrunner Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Swanley
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 08:35:14 AM »
I power washed the luggage many times and water didn't find it's way in but perhaps under heavy load, road vibrations and heavy rain, some water may find it's way in eventually.

Offline Slidy

• Crossrunner Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Cleobury
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 02:07:55 PM »
When I picked mine up (second hand) the left hand pannier had water in it. The dealer said it was probably from the jet wash the luggage had been given before i got there, and to keep an eye on it, letting them know if it happened again.
Got back from a trip to France, rode 145 miles home from Portsmouth in the pouring rain (That was fun!), and found it had leaked like a sieve!! back to dealer on Monday!

Smeagol

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 06:21:34 PM »
Dealer called today, Honda have requested pictures!

So I got the hosepipe out and, with a gentle spray, soaked the back end of the bike ( dangerously close to qualifying as washing it  :004: ) Result both panniers and topbox filled with water, I can't see exactly where it is getting in but the panniers had splashes around the bottom so it appears that it is the lock area that leaks.

Smeagol

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 09:34:26 AM »
Just phoned the dealer.  Honda are replacing luggage  :001:

Waiting for topbox as 1st one they sent was marked.

A bit peed off that I had to chase the dealer to find out this, would have expected a courtesy call to say Honda have accepted the claim and they would be in contact once the parts had arrived  :230:

But happy that Honda have accepted the fault and are replacing.