nordkapp

Views: 152
Posted by: Adst
in: Adst
IMG 2655

Views: 292
Posted by: Adst
in: Adst

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tyres, chains etc  (Read 3978 times)

Offline gatesy

• Crossrunner Member
  • Tyres down saddle up!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: crossrunner
  • City / Town: Le Bosc Renoult
Tyres, chains etc
« on: July 01, 2012, 07:24:42 PM »
Just back from 13 days in Picos and Puys, fantastic and the CR behaved beautifully. First chance to use it in anger with a pillion and luggage and it left us smiling at the end of each day. Plus much easier to manage at low speed than the GS.
Now changing tyres at 10Ks, and giving it a much earned rear end clean and de-grease. Thought I would have a practice adjusting the chain for the first time even though it didn't need it yet. Scottoiler touring pack seems to be doing what it claims. Problem is, it is possible to rotate the hub smoothly clockwise i.e. loosen, as you face the sprocket but it comes to a stop when you try to rotate it anti-clockwise i.e. tighten. Which means that there is not much movement left to adjust the chain when it does show signs of wear.
Q. Is there a stop or should the hub just rotate freely for the full 360Deg?
Tel; 02 33 35 85 84 for TLC if in trouble or even in the area.
Code postale; 61470

Offline xrunjoe

• Crossrunner Master
  • Ex crossrunner owner
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Ex CR owner
  • City / Town: Northampton
Re: Tyres, chains etc
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 07:56:43 PM »
Not sure of the direct answer to your specific question - however  I would just say that I had no problem in tightening sufficient to take more slack out of the chain than needed after 5000 miles - I had to loosen it off a bit before tightening up the hub nut. Silly question maybe so - don't be annoyed - are you reversing the special tool adjusting spanner when you tighten??
Suzuki GSX650F, 1250F, Crossrunner, Kawasaki Z1000SX

Offline gatesy

• Crossrunner Member
  • Tyres down saddle up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 09:28:08 AM »
Tks for the reply. I noticed that I could rotate the hub freely in the clockwise direction but when I tried to rotate it in the anticlock it seemed to hit a stop so I did'nt want to force it further. I can easily try again but I thought I would try here first in case I was doing something wrong.
I'll give it a go today and report results.
Code postale; 61470

Offline uoorns

• Crossrunner Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: northampton
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 08:43:15 PM »
Gatesy. Picos and Puys are fabulous P's. Must have been a great trip. I'm a complete waster on the mechanicals but have managed to adjust chain a couple of times. For me , once you get the tightening spanner in place you can move it one way to tighten and (with the spanner on the same grip) move it the other to loosen. hope this helps - probably doesn't but thoroughly recommend Picos - just a short distance from the ferry terminal in Santander - and as you well know one of the most attractive parts of the very varied Spain. Cheers.
hornetsfan

Smeagol

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 11:41:59 AM »
Any luck with this gatesy?

I think the adjuster sometimes seizes up, due to dirt, this is fairly common on the VFR.

Maybe another item that needs regular movement to help keep it running freely, like the exhaust clamps.

Offline gatesy

• Crossrunner Member
  • Tyres down saddle up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 07:36:08 PM »
Mea culpa! Spoke to an ex-VFR owner mate of mine and his solution was...wait for it...the adjustment stops when the chain is tightened fully. Checked and yes, I had reached the limit of tightness and backed it off to get 35 mm. That's what 15 yrs of BMW ownership legacy means, complete memory loss as to how chains behave. Sorry for any head scratching I've caused, and feel free to send an emoticom if a raspberry one exists.
Good tip re-exhaust band bolts. They had rusted quite badly when I came to remove rear wheel Now clean and copper slipped. Tks.
If I can (be trusted to) pass on a tip, Wonderwheels applied to the stainless exhaust will keep it shiney silver and prevent that yellow cast it gets with heat. The metalligists will be able to tell you just what temp that is.
Quick 12K service next week, scrub in new tyres then off to the Black Forest, B500 etc.for 5 days, lovely.
Code postale; 61470

Smeagol

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 08:32:22 PM »
 :150: :150: :150: :150: :150: :150: :150: :150: :150: :150: :150:

:008:

Offline SwissVFR

• Crossrunner Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 87VFR + 2011CR
  • City / Town: St-Legier
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2012, 09:08:08 PM »

Smeagol

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 09:22:20 PM »
gatesy, lives in my favourite area of France and goes and does the black forest.  How jealous am I  :019: :019: :019:

Smeagol

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2012, 09:26:20 PM »
Ooops - looked at the wrong le bosc, thought it was the one near Montpellier, still jealous though  :016: