Recent Gallery Images

From Turkiye

Views: 106
Posted by: forallende
in: Members Albums

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: OE Pirelli Scorpions  (Read 5555 times)

Offline mrvelcrofast

• Crossrunner Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: VFR800X,VFR750FV
  • City / Town: London
OE Pirelli Scorpions
« on: July 20, 2012, 06:50:50 AM »
Can't wait to get rid of these terrible hoops.
They are twitchy and impresise in the dry and damn right lethal in the wet.
The bike feels like it is riding on carpet; no direct contact to road surface!

Furthermore, I seem to be loosing tyre pressure gradually over the course of a week in both tyres, typically about 5psi.
Anyone else noticed this on theirs?

Offline maxincuk

• Crossrunner Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Swanley
Re: OE Pirelli Scorpions
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 07:30:59 AM »
I found the tyres a bit unpredictable on the wet too, particularly on cold winter days but I guess that is to be expected of any tyre under 5-7C. I also experienced drops in pressure on both tyres during the same period but the problem got away once the weather warmed up.

malcolm

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 08:59:25 AM »
Are you using the correct Tyre pressures 33/36 I tried them on normal Tyre pressures for road bikes 36/42 and had the same feeling you are getting put them bake down to 33/36 and the wet grip and feel came back I think these tires must be designed to work at lower pressures

Offline gatesy

• Crossrunner Member
  • Tyres down saddle up!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: crossrunner
  • City / Town: Le Bosc Renoult
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 11:06:42 AM »
Hi, just replaced both at 10Kms mostly touring two up with luggage. No probs at 33/36 wet or dry. They just didn't last as long as a dual rubber tread should have done though so replaced with PRs.
Tel; 02 33 35 85 84 for TLC if in trouble or even in the area.
Code postale; 61470

Offline xrunjoe

• Crossrunner Master
  • Ex crossrunner owner
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Ex CR owner
  • City / Town: Northampton
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 12:50:41 PM »
I changed mine for PR3's after 6k - but did not run them at the "normal" setting of 36/42. I think they are designed to run at the lower pressure and if you over inflate they perform even worse in the wet.
Suzuki GSX650F, 1250F, Crossrunner, Kawasaki Z1000SX

Shaunomercy

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 02:24:19 PM »
i run mine at 33/36.  they are ok in dry but in the wet i dont have any faith in them.  last saturday i was heading over to derbyshire for the vfr camp. bike was upright and as i accelerated in second, it had spun the rear up even before i reached vtec.  never suffered that on the conti ra2.
mine have only covered 2087 mile and id like em off but 200+ quid i cannot justify when the scorps still look new.
im gonna try 31/34 next time out.

paul

danesman

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 04:16:26 PM »
I  changed the Pirelli's after doing just 300m on them. Thought they were absolutely pants on wet tarmac, very twitchy, I had no confidence in them whatsoever.
I chose Dunlop Roadsmart 2, vast improvement in the wet and they also heat up very quickly in the cold. Also great feedback in all conditions

Smeagol

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 05:37:47 PM »
At 33/36 the scorpions felt sluggish in the the dry until they had done at least half an hour of riding then they felt OK.  In the wet I never felt confident on them at 33/36.  When I ran them at 36/42 they felt really good in the dry, in Scotland they were fantastic, a mate kept commenting about how the little scorpions on the edge were getting worn away  :001:.  I never had the chance to run them properly in the wet at 36/42.

Had a puncture at about 4000 miles and changed them both for PR3's, running at 36/42 and feel more confident on the bike with them wet or dry.

Offline mrvelcrofast

• Crossrunner Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: VFR800X,VFR750FV
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 07:15:47 PM »
I can't run them at the lower pressures, the bike permanently refuses to 'turn in' and constantly runs wide through corners.
They will be changed ASAP when they have worn out. The rear is already starting to square off after 1600 miles.

I need the bike to handle from the off. It's a tool to do a job.
I'm pretty sure I'll be fitting PR3's. Haven't heard a bad report about them.

malcolm

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 08:33:08 PM »
Check your suspension settings. I can scrape both foot rest on dry roads and the bike turns in allot quicker than the 1250 bandit I had with pressures at 33/36 when I set them at 36/42 the bike was a bit skittish over poor surfaces that made me bake off

recent