Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: disabling flapper valve  (Read 8807 times)

Shaunomercy

disabling flapper valve
on: August 10, 2012, 02:44:12 PM
Anyone done this yet ?  I did this on my previous vtec and it made it sound a lot throatier at low revs.  not sure it made much difference in power tho.  maybe a little stronger low down.
easy enough to do tho.  disconnect pipe off flapper valve on top of airbox. block with a bolt n tape and place tape over inlet to flapper valve to stop dirt.
job done.
next time im messing and undo fairings it will be a mod i undertake.  im not disabling the pair system as fueling is perfect as it is.
paul.
Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 02:52:50 PM by Shaunomercy

Offline xrunjoe

• Crossrunner Master
  • Ex crossrunner owner
  • Bike: Ex CR owner
  • City / Town: Northampton
Re: disabling flapper valve
Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 10:27:56 AM
OK, I give in and don't want you to feel like billy no mates Paul. When I first saw this post I checked to see it was not April 1st. Having done that I have to own up and say I have no idea what or where the flapper valve is. I thought a flapper was a term for a female pillion in the early biking days  :038:
Suzuki GSX650F, 1250F, Crossrunner, Kawasaki Z1000SX

Offline leathers999

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Andover
Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 03:13:53 PM
Huh!!?   :027:

Offline Will vZ

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: VFR800X/Vulcan S
  • City / Town: Castel
Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 05:53:20 PM
*Originally Posted by xrunjoe [+]
I thought a flapper was a term for a female pillion in the early biking days  :038:

Only if you had a lisp

Will.

Offline SwissVFR

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: 87VFR + 2011CR
  • City / Town: St-Legier
Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 11:35:31 AM
*Originally Posted by xrunjoe [+]
OK, I give in and don't want you to feel like billy no mates Paul. When I first saw this post I checked to see it was not April 1st. Having done that I have to own up and say I have no idea what or where the flapper valve is. I thought a flapper was a term for a female pillion in the early biking days  :038:

There was a thread i started in the general forum that discusses it a bit - https://www.honda-crossrunner.com/index.php?topic=366.0

I seem to be the only one to be having this problem, however.  It is still not fixed, and the dealer says it is "normal"...   :087:

So looks like I'm on my own here.  I don't have the tools or the know-how to check the starter valves.  But I might also try doing the "flapper" and perhaps the pair valve mod as shown here:
http://johnny.chadda.se/article/pair-and-flapper-mod-with-bonus-snorkel-mod-for-vfr/

This is for VFR's of course - not specifically aimed at crossrunners (especially as there are none in the US)
There was a comment about the PAIR valves in another thread in a different forum relating to UK/Euro models, which might be different than US:

1. The PAIR electrical connector on UK/European models is located to the left of the headstock, in front of the COIL it is a pushlock connection, so is a pain in the butt to seperate. Just use a small screwdriver to lift the lock strip & it will come apart.
You will have to remove or losen the left fairing panel to acces this. You can confirm its the correct connector, by following the 8" or so of cable to the PAIR electronic valve located under the front left side of the airbox. You can see it if you look through the forks just above the cylinder head poking through the rubber air dam, on the right as you look at it.

Not having taken anything apart myself yet, I don't know how much difference there is...

--sv

Shaunomercy

Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 02:28:57 PM
swiss vfr.
read this thread....
http://www.bikersoracle.com/vfr/forum/showthread.php?t=108989

im not looking at disabling the pair as fueling is far better than the vfr800f vtec.
flapper mod is easy.  you cannot miss the round valve on top of airbox.  disconnect pipe and block.  put some tape over inlet to valve where you have taken pipe off.  job done.

to disable pair there is a plug behind airbox.  if you read thread it will tell you colours.  neither are permanent mods and can be reversed.  its not like you are chopping wires or anything.
paul

Offline ukbiker

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: Silverwing600
  • City / Town: london
Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 07:27:47 PM
*Originally Posted by Shaunomercy [+]
Anyone done this yet ?  I did this on my previous vtec and it made it sound a lot throatier at low revs.  not sure it made much difference in power tho.  maybe a little stronger low down.
easy enough to do tho.  disconnect pipe off flapper valve on top of airbox. block with a bolt n tape and place tape over inlet to flapper valve to stop dirt.
job done.
next time im messing and undo fairings it will be a mod i undertake.  im not disabling the pair system as fueling is perfect as it is.
paul.

Hi
I could not understand why mess about if flapper valve.
with normal VFR800 Vtec, yes I can understand as that bike is pain when I comes it bieng jerky at low rev.( I had 2004 back in 2007 I know how nasty it was).

Shaunomercy

Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 10:04:44 AM
The flapper valve is more to do with noise suppression.  Disabling it gives more sound and makes engine breath more easily.
The pair mod imo isnt needed on the cr. However on the 800f vtec it improves things by stopping the ecu causing the fuel mixture to lean off and create a throttle thats like a hair trigger.

Paul