Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Video cameras  (Read 4888 times)

Offline SwissVFR

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: 87VFR + 2011CR
  • City / Town: St-Legier
Video cameras
on: August 16, 2012, 10:19:18 PM
Hi all,

Thought I'd start this topic as an informational post - as you may have seen in some other posts, I bought a video camera and am experimenting with it currently.  Anyone else?

What I got: 
Drift HD 1080
Will do 1080p full HD (1920 x 1080) at 30 FPS or 720p at up to 60fps
Can get them for about $250 or $300 with accessories

So far, my judgement -
Pros: nice form factor for motorcycle use (torpedo-shaped), easy to set up and use, rotatable lens, screen for preview, video quality decent
Cons: Lot of lens flare in the sun (acknowledged problem but no solution), buttons a bit hard to push, built-in mic no good with wind

One other thing that is a problem is that although they have a remote start/stop button unit, you can't actually turn the camera on with it - it has to be already on.  That means either you leave it on all the time (battery drains in a couple of hours) or you have to stop and turn the unit on before doing a video (removes the spontaneity).  I suppose this could be remedied by hooking it up to the bike's 12V (plug provided) - I've already got one cable running to the external mic...  Also the remote start/stop unit is a bit tricky - I had it on the other side of the tank from the camera and the signal didn't always get through.  So now it's strapped to the handle bars.  The button is hard to push (no feedback with a gloved hand), so I'm never really sure if it started...

Wonder how it compares to a GoPro (the leading unit) if anyone has one - what I didn't like about that is it's a big square block unit like a compact still camera.

Anyway, if anyone's interested in discussing...  --sv

Smeagol

Re: Video cameras
Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 11:34:34 PM
No experience of the gopro, a mate has the stealthcam and is very happy with it.

I used to use two of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hidden-Gum-Shape-Camera-DV-Webcam-DVR-Video-Recorder-/160865961413?pt=US_Security_Cameras&hash=item25745bc5c5 front and rear mounted on the CBF.  I had to make some seriously rigid mounts to avoid rolling shutter effects and the cams would drop a frame now and then resulting in some stutter.  They have no option to mount an external mike and the sound was pretty poor with wind noise.  But the front cam was mounted on the engine block and got some engine sound.  I modified them to power from the bike and have switches mounted on the tank, seriously hard soldering on surface mount pcb the size of a stick of chewing gum  :012:

Examples here http://www.youtube.com/user/ReadingHOC

I now use http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-DV-DVR-808-Micro-Camera-16-HD-720P-H-264-Camcorder-Growth-Recorder-Charger-/180777341972?pt=US_Surveillance_Digital_Video_Recorders_Cards&hash=item2a172b5414 which will record full HD without dropped frames.  Again there is no option for external mic.  Only had it mounted on top of helmet so far, trying to find a good place to mount on the CR.

Example:
02-06-12 - Saturday bits

Very impressed with this cam, for the price and small size.  I get 4-5hours video on an 8GB microSD card.  It's not waterproof but you can stick it in a plastic bag if it rains  :006:

Offline Spenze

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Melbourne
Video cameras
Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 08:44:19 AM
I've been tossing up whether or not to grab a Replay XD (the new camera on the block). It has the best form factor of any "action" camera I've seen yet.

Offline SwissVFR

• Crossrunner Pro
Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 08:57:47 AM
Wow Smeagol, that is certainly pretty good quality for such tiny cheap cameras...

Hmm, the Replay looks very good, didn't find that one when I went looking for mine.  :006:

--sv

Smeagol

Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 06:57:42 PM
Swiss how is your drift mounted? and where?

Offline SwissVFR

• Crossrunner Pro
Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 08:53:35 PM
*Originally Posted by Smeagol [+]
Swiss how is your drift mounted? and where?

The only thing that I've found that works on the CR for me so far is the suction cup mount, mounted on the forward upper left side fairing.  With the arm I can place the camera just under the turn signal, the wide lens gets just a bit of bike on the right of the view for a stationary reference (attached is a poor image cut out from another photo, I can grab some better shots tomorrow in the daylight).  Of course in the UK, I guess I would mount it on the opposite side of the bike on account of you driving on the wrong side of the road and all...  :150:

It needs to be mounted on a pretty solid part of the bike, otherwise it will vibrate.  The place where I stuck it is one of the least wiggly parts of the fairing where it is flat enough for the suction cup to stick reliably.

It would be nice to have a higher vantage point, I could suction it to the tank, but it would then need to look through the higher screen.  The thing comes with some adhesive stick on mounts for things like helmet mounting but I honestly would feel pretty silly with one of these things sitting like a bird perched on top of my head... :017:  I also thought about fashioning a more permanent mount hanging it just under the bike's nose, but then it would be difficult to turn on and off and you would lose the bike reference.  I will continue to experiment.

--sv

Shaunomercy

Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 09:36:32 PM
actually, under the beak is probably best spot.  this clip i took when experimenting with a bit of thrown together kit on my vfr800f vtec.  bullet cam was under the center of the headights.
turn volume down on your speakers.... wind noise is pretty bad tho.
plus camera under the beak is pretty covert...
paul
Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 09:40:41 PM by Shaunomercy

Smeagol

Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 10:28:51 PM
The problem with the cam I use is that there is no mount options for it.  I currently have it mounted on my helmet with 3M dual lock, a stronger version of velcro ( even Honda use it for securing parts of panels )  I don't really like the helmet mounted option, wobbly head  :012:.

I have been thinking about mounting under the beak, my cam has the option of rotating the video 180 degrees, not the fully rotatable option of the drift.

I like the idea of a reference visible, the only problem with that is police can seize video and use it for evidence  :023: if you have no part of the bike visible then it may be difficult for them to prove it was taken on that bike ( well that's the theory some people spout )

The forward facing mounting option made on the CBF had part of the forks and wheel in view and I really liked that (it shows just how hard the suspension works ) but I can't work out a mounting option like this on the CR yet.

Shaunomercy

Re: Re: Video cameras
Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 11:03:43 PM
*Originally Posted by Smeagol [+]
I like the idea of a reference visible, the only problem with that is police can seize video and use it for evidence  :023:

my point exactly.  hence the prefered covert mounting.

paul

Offline SwissVFR

• Crossrunner Pro
Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 11:09:41 PM
Evidence of what?  I've never broken a road law in my life...   :007:

* Recent Topics