When do you use the clutch on your crossrunner

every time you change gears up or down shifts
8 (88.9%)
only on up shifts
0 (0%)
only on down shifts
1 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: To clutch or not to clutch  (Read 2565 times)

Offline moey47

• Crossrunner Member
  • thunderbolts way
  • Bike: 2011 cr
  • City / Town: sydney
To clutch or not to clutch
on: September 24, 2012, 02:16:33 PM
Besides pulling up, taking off and slow speed maneuvering ,is there any real need to use the clutch? This was the discussion we had at work the other day, and very different opinions on the matter, I was just wondering what the forum thought of this topic.Personally I don't use the clutch to gear up,only use the clutch when gearing down, just to take the stress off the drive train.what is your view on this?

Shaunomercy

Re: To clutch or not to clutch
Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 04:48:02 PM
Well bike gear boxes are typically crash boxes i. e no syncro.   So in theory clutchless gear changes should be fine.
However its something i wont do.   A damaged dog or selector fork on a motorcycle is going to be an extortionate repair and i doubt a motorbike gearbox is anyway as robust as a crashbox on a car.
A no no in my book...
Paul

Offline SwissVFR

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: 87VFR + 2011CR
  • City / Town: St-Legier
Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 05:19:48 PM
Upshifting on acceleration (no clutch) is easier on the drivetrain, as you can more easily momentarily blip off the throttle which unloads the gearbox at the same time you drop the gear in, but you have to have excellent timing.  Downshifting without clutching is a lot harder on the gearbox IMO.  I always clutch, to minimize the possible shock to the system if I miss it by a bit, I would like my gearbox and the rest of the primary drivetrain to last as long as possible...

--sv

Offline xrunjoe

• Crossrunner Master
  • Ex crossrunner owner
  • Bike: Ex CR owner
  • City / Town: Northampton
Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 08:50:01 PM
Bike is designed to use a clutch to change gear - so I use it.

To me its an all or nothing - if I started chopping and changing when I do or don't use the clutch then I wonder if I would end up in a mess. When changing down (gradually) I tend to increase revs which requires clutch to be in. Just dumping down through the gears without clutching or making sure revs are right for next level down is not advisable.

I would agree that when I am going up the gear range I have developed a very quick clutch dip and often wonder if there is any point - but I will stick with it cos it's the way I have always done it.
Suzuki GSX650F, 1250F, Crossrunner, Kawasaki Z1000SX

Offline Rocker66

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: 2011 Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Ashford Kent
Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 01:50:33 AM
*Originally Posted by xrunjoe [+]
Bike is designed to use a clutch to change gear - so I use it.

To me its an all or nothing - if I started chopping and changing when I do or don't use the clutch then I wonder if I would end up in a mess. When changing down (gradually) I tend to increase revs which requires clutch to be in. Just dumping down through the gears without clutching or making sure revs are right for next level down is not advisable.

I would agree that when I am going up the gear range I have developed a very quick clutch dip and often wonder if there is any point - but I will stick with it cos it's the way I have always done it.

That's exactly my view on the subject
4 wheels move the body 2 wheels move the soul
Audere est Facere