Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Security locks and chains, whats the best??  (Read 2588 times)

Offline seb

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: crossrunner 2011
  • City / Town: Grayshott
Security locks and chains, whats the best??
on: October 13, 2012, 10:01:44 AM
I never had to chain my bikes before but the time has come as my CR wont sleep in a secure alarmed garage no more soon!! :003:

So I have with a forum member help, got a good cover now!! :152:

I need now some help in finding a good chain, and disck lock for the bike and also some sort of device to secure the bike or to the wall or to the grand... any comments suggestions really appreciated!! :211:
Seb , French biker in the uk ! Ca roule

Shaunomercy

Re: Security locks and chains, whats the best??
Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 02:48:21 PM
I cannot remember size of chain link that cannot be cut with croppers but, what ever you anchor to.  A wall anchor is better than a ground anchor.  keep the chain off the floor so it cannot be smashed with a sledge hammer.

Paul

Shaunomercy

Offline Cornersruns

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: VFR800-X (2012)
  • City / Town: Reading
Re: Security locks and chains, whats the best??
Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 06:45:12 PM
*Originally Posted by Shaunomercy [+]
I cannot remember size of chain link that cannot be cut with croppers but, what ever you anchor to.  A wall anchor is better than a ground anchor.  keep the chain off the floor so it cannot be smashed with a sledge hammer.

16mm is the size you might be thinking of, others apart from Almax make chains this big, and bigger.

Where you pass the chain through is important as well, if you just stick it through a wheel rim a thief can whip the wheel off pretty quick.  There is no really easy place to pass a chain through the frame on the CR but a solution is http://securityforbikes.com/anti-pinch-pin.php it goes through the rear axle and is probably about the best option for the CR.  You have to buy the lock that fits it, Squire SS65CS, but other 16mm + chains should fit.  I've bought from Pragmasis and very happy with the service.