Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Decat pipe for Crossrunner  (Read 7000 times)

Offline spannerman35

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: vfr800x/cb1000r
  • City / Town: Runcorn
Decat pipe for Crossrunner
on: November 08, 2012, 09:10:37 AM
Hi all...
Has anybody ever decatted their Crossrunner? I have a 2012 CB1000R which I decatted and fitted a Yoshimura exhaust system on.. The power  gains were fantastic and it certainly gave the bike the soul that it was so dearly lacking...

I know there is plenty of soul in the V4 engine on the Crossrunner but I cant help feeling it could be a bit quicker on throttle response and could sound even nicer than it already does.... :002:

Offline TroggysRevenge

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Brisbane
Re: Decat pipe for Crossrunner
Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 10:48:59 AM
I understand that the main changes to the CR engine from the VFR800 was a slightly heavier flywheel, some tweaks to the VTEC and the way the 4-into-1 exhaust merges is also different from the VFR800.
The changes were made to increase torque and rideability at the expense of some power and less throttle response.  From that I would say that the easiest ways to improve the response would be found with the exhaust system and a lighter flywheel - but it will at the expense of some of that extra torque.
I love the power delivery - I ride two-up a lot and want the smooth response and low-down power right where it is.  My IXIL Hyperlow should arrive in about a week so hopefully my CR will be sounding even better soon!

Offline spannerman35

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 01:18:20 PM
I have been looking at the Ixill exhaust....Some CR owners seem to be calling them Ixill shorties...Are there more than two types of Ixil pipe?...I know there is the Ixil XL and the Xrace series..

Is the Ixil XL the same as the shortie?
Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 04:43:13 PM by spannerman35

Offline Rocker66

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: 2011 Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Ashford Kent
Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 03:09:24 PM
In all honestly for the way I ride these days the CR is perfectly adequate but hey each to their own
4 wheels move the body 2 wheels move the soul
Audere est Facere

Offline SwissVFR

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: 87VFR + 2011CR
  • City / Town: St-Legier
Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 09:50:13 PM
yep...

Offline spannerman35

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 09:57:15 PM
I used to have a vfr800 with blue flame high level exhaust fitted and it used to sound awesome...I am basically trying to get the Crossrunners exhaust note to sound very similar.....

Any suggestions?

Shaunomercy

Re: Re: Decat pipe for Crossrunner
Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 10:31:24 PM
*Originally Posted by spannerman35 [+]
Hi all...
Has anybody ever decatted their Crossrunner? I have a 2012 CB1000R which I decatted and fitted a Yoshimura exhaust system on.. The power  gains were fantastic and it certainly gave the bike the soul that it was so dearly lacking...

I know there is plenty of soul in the V4 engine on the Crossrunner but I cant help feeling it could be a bit quicker on throttle response and could sound even nicer than it already does.... :002:

Motad do a decat set of headers for the vfr800f.  But the pipes on the cr have a different lay out.
If you speak to motad and ask for ian he will be most likely able to advise. Top geezer he is.

Other option is drop the pipes and gut the cat and reweld.
Lighter fly wheel will aid spin up but before you consider that id recommend a ride on the vtec 800f.  Very sharp and snappy throttle response.

The vtec in crossrunner guise is a far better setup.  I had a 2004 vtec..

Paul

Offline lenny w

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: Crossrunner
  • City / Town: knot end on sea
Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 08:28:17 PM
 I had a ixil exhaust on my C/R first,,  it was on for 20 miles and I took it off. And sold it on here to crossrunner Rob. .. Each to there own I know but I realy did not like the exhaust tone, which is why I got onto beowulf to make the link pipe for the C/R,, baffle in or out honestly I just can't get enough of the beowulf, your not that far from me. I've got a family thing on this weekend but if you want to meet up for a brew a week on Sunday (18th) some where, say rivvy barn or up for suggestions, have a brew n chat and i'll gladly let you have a rev
Don't Ride Faster Than Your Angels Can Fly.
Mods so far
Beowulf warrior end can, Puig touring screen, r&g bar end weights, r&g swing arm protector, Pazzo shorty levers, Givi top box and rack,Oxford heated grips, Rim tape, Zumo 220 sat nav, Baglux tank cover

Shaunomercy

Re: Re: Decat pipe for Crossrunner
Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 11:01:05 PM
*Originally Posted by spannerman35 [+]
I used to have a vfr800 with blue flame high level exhaust fitted and it used to sound awesome...I am basically trying to get the Crossrunners exhaust note to sound very similar.....

Any suggestions?

QUILL EVO2......

Offline spannerman35

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #9 on: November 10, 2012, 09:19:16 AM
Ok after all your great advice, I shall leave the decat alone...

I quite like the look of the Quill and Beowulf tri oval exhausts....The only gripe I have with either of them is how long they are.....I want to show off the rear wheel a bit more.....I am now thinking of buying a Quill or Beowulf and chopping that down so it finishes just past the rear footrest mount.....