Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: I want CR but can not find way round small bad points  (Read 5064 times)

Offline ukbiker

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: Silverwing600
  • City / Town: london
I want CR but can not find way round small bad points
on: November 12, 2012, 05:59:01 PM
Hi All

I had a test ride on on the cross runner 6 months ago, and here is what is stopping me from trading in my silverwing600 for CR(my previous bike was CB1000 for 5yrs and loved it.)

there is not enough wind protection on hi ways,(hit above 50mph and wind just hits me on chest and above)(screen was standard.)

Seat gave me pain just after 30mins ride.
Instrument lcd screen really small to see(specially when riding in day time).

-No center stand as standtard (available as option)
-Juice economy will be worse than cbf1000.(no idea on how to find a way round this one)

-silly plastics make it very hard to fit satnavs to bars.(may have to cut hole on plastic)

Service cost will alot more than cbf1000, just like a normal vfr800 vtec

I loved everthing else, it is a fantastic machine, alot safer to ride in city than vfr due to raised bars/sit upright riding position.

Shaunomercy

Re: Re: I want CR but can not find way round small bad points
Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 11:28:05 PM
*Originally Posted by ukbiker [+]
Hi All

I had a test ride on on the cross runner 6 months ago, and here is what is stopping me from trading in my silverwing600 for CR(my previous bike was CB1000 for 5yrs and loved it.)

there is not enough wind protection on hi ways,(hit above 50mph and wind just hits me on chest and above)(screen was standard.)

Seat gave me pain just after 30mins ride.
Instrument lcd screen really small to see(specially when riding in day time).

-No center stand as standtard (available as option)
-Juice economy will be worse than cbf1000.(no idea on how to find a way round this one)

-silly plastics make it very hard to fit satnavs to bars.(may have to cut hole on plastic)

Service cost will alot more than cbf1000, just like a normal vfr800 vtec

I loved everthing else, it is a fantastic machine, alot safer to ride in city than vfr due to raised bars/sit upright riding position.

Ok lets go through the points you make ukbiker.

Wind protection.  After the silverwing most bikes are going to feel pretty naked.  To gain the same kinda protection your looking at a bmw rt.  The crossrunner standard screen is actually brilliant. It gives a smooth buffet free airflow that is QUIET around your helmet.  There are taller screens available from honda, puig, givi to name a few.

Seat.  Each to their own.  The crossrunner seat is better than the vfr800f seat.  But again probably very different to the silverwings.  It may have felt hard but how many miles had the dem bike covered.  Seat not bedded in yet ?
Lcd display. Actual speedo easy enough to read.  Granted rev counter not brill to see in sunlight sometimes.  Though I suspect none of the cr owners on here actually watch the rev counter much.  The noise of the v4 in vtec mode is easy enough to distinguish.

Center stand.  Barter with said dealer. You want stand or you walk.  A vtec vfr stand also fits.  Ebay n do it cheap.  Honda austerity measures.  It should be standard like on the vfr800f vtec.

Squirt.... 55mpg is achievable.  So is 27mpg.

Servicing costs....  honda dealers are not too bad actually. Around 250 for 16k valve check.  But how can you complain about the servicing costs when the v4 vtec is a QUAD cam engine.  Its very exotic and not a run of the mill inline 4 which on the cbf is a double overhead cam. And not as complicated by any margin. And no way as characterfull.

Satnav.  Sw motech do a bracket.  Yes you will have to drill the plastic or use something like the so easy rider satnav pouch.  I use the pouch n tranfer that to everybike.

Anything else need answering ukbiker..?

Paul

Offline Spenze

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Melbourne
I want CR but can not find way round small bad points
Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 12:58:22 AM
Just buy a different bike if you're not happy with the CR.

Offline TroggysRevenge

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Brisbane
Re: I want CR but can not find way round small bad points
Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 08:08:34 AM
You'll never find the perfect bike, but for me the CR is about right.

There are plenty of aftermarket options for screens - Puig seems to be the popular around here, but Honda do one, so do Givi.  I've fitted a Puig and I reckon it's great.

I tend to get some aches and pains from every new bike I ride.  Different seating positions do it every time (could be an age thing!).  If you feel like you've done yourself an injury then you've got a problem. I have a very bad back but the CR's seat doesn't trouble me at all.

The speedo on the LCD is fine, but reading the exact revs is tricky.  I'm tempted to paint a white mark above the 5,000rpm spot to see it better, but if it isn't a safety issue then it doesn't bother me that much.  The engine is useable from 3,000 to 12,000rpm and pulls away cleanly from a standstill with passenger and luggage in 3rd so you're not likely to ever find yourself in the wrong gear.

I'm not sure what I'm missing out on with the centre stand.  I usually put a dab of oil on whatever part of the chain I can reach after every ride and that seems to keep everything sufficiently lubricated.

Economy is what you make of it, depending on how you ride.  You should be getting around 350km out of a 21l tank on the highway and probably 250 if you ride in heavy traffic. 

Servicing costs haven't hurt me too badly.  It's more expensive than my air-cooled GS500 but that's the trade-off for more power and a sophisticated engine.

Most machines will have one single thing about them that will make you decide for or against it.  For me it was everything about the V4 engine that I loved, and I reckon it looks great.  Those two things alone are what made me decide upon the CR.

Stick a set of panniers on it and head for the open road, it'll all make sense to you. 

If you still have any doubts then maybe a V-Strom or Beemer is more your style?

Offline uoorns

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: crossrunner
  • City / Town: northampton
Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 07:40:55 PM
Hi UK Biker,

I’ve had my CR over 12 months and covered 16000 miles. I agree with the points made by Paul. I really don’t experience a problem with wind protection. I think it works well. Admittedly not as well protected (on the legs and feet) as a fully faired bike such as Pan European (or Silverwing) but there is a fair bit of clever protection from that relatively small screen. With winter coming I would perhaps prefer slightly higher screen which would allow riding with visor raised at higher speeds in some situations – mainly night time/raining inner city so will investigate that. But overall I think the wind protection is good.

As to seat – I find it comfortable. Must be more so surely than the Silverwing set up (which I’ve tried only once) which means feet moved forward with inevitable increased pressure on back. You’re spot on in saying with the raised bars the upright position is v comfortable and safe.

Instrument screen is (I think) fine. Clear mph – okay rpm doesn’t hit you in the face but as soon as you’ve done a few miles you can tell the revs by the whole feel of the bike. Not sure I need a rev counter?

Had no problem fitting my Garmin sat nav ( okay someone else did it for me – but no plastic cutting).

Servicing cost – Paul has covered.

You’ve covered the main point – it’s a fantastic machine. The engine is surely far more rewarding/fun than the Silverwing?

Acid test is if you have a daily commute of, say, 100 miles or a need to do a Europe tour which would you take? I know my answer.

John
hornetsfan

Offline Rocker66

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: 2011 Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Ashford Kent
Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 08:17:07 PM
When touring with my wife my CR and her CBF 1000 FA use around the same amount of fuel.
I get to ride both bikes and I know which is the most fun. just as a clue its not the CBF :419:
4 wheels move the body 2 wheels move the soul
Audere est Facere

Offline ukbiker

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 11:12:06 PM
Hi All

I really had no in tension of comparing CR seat to silverwing's seat, any seat less compfy than the CBF1000 is going to make riding painful.
I have always liked the vfr800, but I know the its not the ideal commuting bike due to the riding position, but vfr re-designed for real world riding and still keep the VFR character sounds perfect to me.

Have honda lost the plot? have they forgotten we are still on earth when they decided the RRP of new CR, £9200.

CR left a very good memory in my head when i took it for a ride 6 months ago.although a little concerned about honda not so honest about putting a restrictions on top speed in UK CR, but not big deal in UK as I am happy to stay within license keeper speeds anyway.

I think a modified seat and screen replaced with taller should sort out minor niggles.
Something tells that

Dealer offered me pre-reg for reasonable price, I suppose back on the phone to see if he can give me a good deal together.

Shall update when I seal a deal with my local Honda dealer.

Thank you all for your input and time.
Diria :002:

Offline moey47

• Crossrunner Member
  • thunderbolts way
  • Bike: 2011 cr
  • City / Town: sydney
Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 04:22:41 AM
I totally agree with you, ukbiker. on all the bad points you make of this bike, but as you said in your subject heading they are small, my biggest gripe was the center stand. I tried so hard to haggle with the dealers to chuck it in with the sale price, but no chance, there is very little profit margin in this bike so they compensate with the exploded prices for the extras.  Just like with anything you buy that's new, it takes a while to adjust to it, I bought mine over 2 months ago now, and I ride it every single day, most of my ride is to work and back, Ive done a few long trips,/high way riding, and I hear what you say and agree, but for me, the response from the engine,the brakes and handling oughtweigh all the small bad points.I absolutely have no regrets in buying this bike, just buy one you'll love it.

Shaunomercy

Re: Re: I want CR but can not find way round small bad points
Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 02:05:16 PM
*Originally Posted by ukbiker [+]
Hi All

I have always liked the vfr800, but I know the its not the ideal commuting bike due to the riding position, but vfr re-designed for real world riding and still keep the VFR character sounds perfect to me.

Dealer offered me pre-reg for reasonable price, I suppose back on the phone to see if he can give me a good deal

Be prepared to travel ukbiker.  I picked up my cr last November.  It was registered april so is an 11 plate.  It had covered 1000 mile. It came with honda heated grips, center stand, full luggage, pannier bags and both touring and standard screen.   I paid 7700.  Mind I had to travel from sheffield to bury st edmonds. 120 mile.  It was worth it tho.

Paul

Offline ukbiker

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 07:02:45 PM
Hi All

I am hoping a tall sceen will sort out wind problems.
Now I am worried about how and where I am going to sort out the center stand without having to pay crazy cost of honda.

This bike should bring back the days I used to get to work and have a big grin in my face(had a CBF1000) for 4years), after commuting to work with my current bike(silverwing600)

Diria

recent