Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: 16K service  (Read 10928 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline mrvelcrofast

  • Crossrunner Member
  • **
  • Posts: 97
  • Bike: VFR800X,VFR750FV
  • City / Town: London
  • Country: UK
16K service
on: January 14, 2013, 07:12:11 PM
 :114: :114: yes my company CR has just been in for it's first VTEC service at Chiswick Honda after 6 months of ownership.
Had 5 valves all on the VTEC side that were a tad tight.
Thank f :087: :172: k I didn't have to pay the service bill (£770).

Anyone else's done this many miles?

Offline leathers999

  • Crossrunner Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 256
  • Bike: Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Andover
  • Country: UK
Re: 16K service
Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 07:40:22 PM
*Originally Posted by mrvelcrofast [+]
:114: :114: yes my company CR has just been in for it's first VTEC service at Chiswick Honda after 6 months of ownership.
Had 5 valves all on the VTEC side that were a tad tight.
Thank f :087: :172: k I didn't have to pay the service bill (£770).

Anyone else's done this many miles?

Jeezy Creezy you are kidding!!  If this is the norm then my CR is gone at 15,000 miles!! :156:

Offline mrvelcrofast

  • Crossrunner Member
  • **
  • Posts: 97
  • Bike: VFR800X,VFR750FV
  • City / Town: London
  • Country: UK
Re: 16K service
Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 04:28:17 PM
Yep every 16K guv.
Mind you the 24K won't be cheap either ... new set of Iridium plugs .. think they come up over £100!!

Offline uoorns

  • Crossrunner Member
  • **
  • Posts: 80
  • Bike: crossrunner
  • City / Town: northampton
  • Country: UK
Re: 16K service
Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 08:48:25 PM
*Originally Posted by mrvelcrofast [+]
Yep every 16K guv.
Mind you the 24K won't be cheap either ... new set of Iridium plugs .. think they come up over £100!!
hornetsfan

Offline uoorns

  • Crossrunner Member
  • **
  • Posts: 80
  • Bike: crossrunner
  • City / Town: northampton
  • Country: UK
Re: 16K service
Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 08:52:42 PM
*Originally Posted by uoorns [+]

I'm now on 17,700. Had the 16,000 service at Mick Berrills of Northampton. A traditional motorbike shop. I have confidence in them. Been going there years, Cost was about £400.
hornetsfan

Offline xrunjoe

  • Crossrunner Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 605
  • Ex crossrunner owner
  • Bike: Ex CR owner
  • City / Town: Northampton
  • Country: UK
Re: 16K service
Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 10:45:27 PM
*Originally Posted by leathers999 [+]
Jeezy Creezy you are kidding!!  If this is the norm then my CR is gone at 15,000 miles!! :156:

Have to admit that when I reached 12000 miles within 12 months it did start to play on my mind that service costs plus new tyres would be costing circa £1,000 in 2013 so might as well double that and buy something else.
Incidentally..a Honda dealer I know said that the valve clearance thingy was a myth and they had hardly ever had to make any adustments -- just that the time to strip down is so lengthy - and felt that some unscrupulous dealers are well up for saying "we had to adjust a few valves a bit" just to justify the costs.
Z1000sx valev clearance check is not on the service schedule until 26,250 miles  :152:
I'll bugger off now then.
Suzuki GSX650F, 1250F, Crossrunner, Kawasaki Z1000SX

Offline mrvelcrofast

  • Crossrunner Member
  • **
  • Posts: 97
  • Bike: VFR800X,VFR750FV
  • City / Town: London
  • Country: UK
Re: 16K service
Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 11:50:32 PM
*Originally Posted by xrunjoe [+]
Have to admit that when I reached 12000 miles within 12 months it did start to play on my mind that service costs plus new tyres would be costing circa £1,000 in 2013 so might as well double that and buy something else.
Incidentally..a Honda dealer I know said that the valve clearance thingy was a myth and they had hardly ever had to make any adustments -- just that the time to strip down is so lengthy - and felt that some unscrupulous dealers are well up for saying "we had to adjust a few valves a bit" just to justify the costs.
Z1000sx valev clearance check is not on the service schedule until 26,250 miles  :152:
I'll bugger off now then.
I'm sure they actually did them; bike runs uber smooth now and has much more ooomph into the vtec.
They're also replacing side-stand switch under warranty as it keeps sticking.

Offline mrvelcrofast

  • Crossrunner Member
  • **
  • Posts: 97
  • Bike: VFR800X,VFR750FV
  • City / Town: London
  • Country: UK
Re: 16K service
Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 11:52:16 PM
*Originally Posted by uoorns [+]
I'm now on 17,700. Had the 16,000 service at Mick Berrills of Northampton. A traditional motorbike shop. I have confidence in them. Been going there years, Cost was about £400.

Are they Honda dealer/ did they stamp book etc?
From what I can gather, Honda dictate the price of services?

Offline Redeemer28

  • Crossrunner Member
  • **
  • Posts: 39
  • Bike: crossrunner
  • City / Town: thessalonikh
  • Country: greece
Re: 16K service
Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 09:57:23 AM
A Honda dealer told me that at 24000km i need to check valves and at all the VFR's he had checked so far in his carreer,the V-tech valves needed adjustement.Another mechanic one the other hand that he was working all his life in an authorized repair shop ,and now he has his own unauthorized repair shop ,told me that none of the VFRs in his carrer ever needed a valve adjustment at 24000km.They used to open the engine just to check,cause that is what the manufancturer says,charge the owner with a lot of working hours,but the never need to make any adjustment.He adviced me to check em just in case at 48000km and only then.Never earlier and he told me if i have money to spend just spend em elsewhere....He also mentioned a bike (VFR) that its 1rst need of valve adjustment was at 72000km and in only 1 valve...
So my friends who is the one we need to believe???That's the question....
Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 09:59:23 AM by Redeemer28


 



recent