Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: greetings from Belgium  (Read 1746 times)

Offline sislemotard

• Crossrunner Junior
  • Bike: HondaVF750C
  • City / Town: Gierle
greetings from Belgium
on: March 13, 2013, 09:08:50 AM
Hello, I have a small request
I'm recovering from a back surgery (a double hernia L4 and L5 for the experts)  and I asked the surgeon if there was still a future for me and my bike. No problemo, if I take the right bike. For the moment I drive a 1995 Honda VF750Custom and as you know: a bad back and a custom bike is a bad marriage. According to his advice I should take an older BMW R1150GS because of his ergonomics. But as I am an Honda-freak and a great admirer of their VFR V-tech engine, my question is: can anyone give me a good advice and especially, can the Crosrunner be a good alternative?
Hoping to get a hopeful answer

greetings

sis le motard

Offline Cornersruns

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: VFR800-X (2012)
  • City / Town: Reading
Re: greetings from Belgium
Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 10:07:27 PM
The crossrunner has a very upright riding position, so from that point of view it should be good for your back.  There might be a problem with the footpegs, which are fairly high, although I believe they are lower on the 2013 models.  It's a fairly heavy bike, not when riding but when manoeuvring and putting on the centre stand.

The only real test is for you to ride it and compare to other bikes, make sure it is a long test ride as a bike can feel fine for 30 minutes but when you spend several hours in the saddle it can show up areas that might be uncomfortable for you.

Hope you find a suitable bike and can stay in the saddle despite the back problems.

Offline kiko

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: CR
  • City / Town: Toledo
Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 10:34:12 AM
Welcome.

Offline TroggysRevenge

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Brisbane
Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 04:54:06 AM
Hi!

I have a history of minor back problems as well which is one of the reasons I had to give up my faithful GS500F.
The Crossrunner gives me no back trouble at all. I hardly notice the heels-up riding position any more and find that it gives me good control of the bike when cornering. It's a bit like getting a new set of boots that feel a bit different to your old set!

Low speed manoeuvring takes very little effort, and the linked brakes on the CR makes it nosedive a lot less than many other bikes I've ridden. The GS500 used to nosedive quite heavily under brakes which brought on more back pain. My pillion (wife) prefers the feel of the CR brakes as well.

The BMW GS actually hurt  my back because the riding position caused me to slouch, so everybodys feel will be different. Take a few different bikes on test rides and see what works for you.

Offline uoorns

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: crossrunner
  • City / Town: northampton
Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 06:54:08 PM
Welcome sis le motard. hope you enjoy the forum. I agree all the comments by Troggys Revenge.  I have had some minor temporary backache recently (what is it with us Crossrunner riders - average age?). But nothing as serious as your's. But just today (as I was travelling along the M1 from Northampton to London) I realised how comfortable the CR is. A good upright seated position (comfortable on the back). Yes - footrests may at first seem a little high but that quickly becomes accepted. But as is said above - we are all different and you can't beat trying different bikes.

Uoorns
hornetsfan