Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: tyre topic (sheare youre findings about tyres)  (Read 9642 times)

Offline Raindeer

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: VFR800X
  • City / Town: Friesland
tyre topic (sheare youre findings about tyres)
on: March 20, 2013, 11:00:19 AM
I thought its is about time that we start a tyre topic, where everyone can share information and experience's about tyres that are suitable for the CR.
This Will make the choice of which tyre you buy in the future maybe a lot easier and we make it more easy to find it on this forum instead of put different topics about one sort of tyre.
For example :  i am thinking about what kind of tyre i should choose. Is it gonna be a "roadsport"tyre or a all road tyre like the standard Pirelli Scorpion.
I am wondering if a allroad tyre can compeat whit a Roadsport tyre on the tarmac.

At this moment I'm yousing a set of Continental road Attack's. My experience's are pretty satisfying so far.  They are stable in fast corners and the grip in the dry is good. In the wet no complains so far. In tight corners i feel that they are a bit nervous(not sure that its a tyre problem)   I Will give a better review about the Conti's  when  the wetter is a bit better(warmer and dryer) so i can test them whit a little more pressure :007: 
Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 11:03:35 AM by Raindeer

Offline leathers999

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Andover
Re: tyre topic (sheare youre findings about tyres)
Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 04:08:56 PM
I dumped the standard Pirelli Scorpions after 750 miles as they where rubbish!  Put on a set of Pirelli Angel STs and it was like riding a different bike!! The shape of the tyres allow you to change direction quicker so sharpen up the handling and you can get some impressive lean angles (ask any of the chaps that have ridden behind me on one of our ride outs). Grip in both dry and wet conditions is VERY good, no "oh my god" moments so far.
Another bonus is as they are not one of the new "trendy" tyres you can pick up a set for a reasonable price.  :031:

Offline spannerman35

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: vfr800x/cb1000r
  • City / Town: Runcorn
Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 09:18:08 AM
I found when pushing the Crossrunner hard the Pirelli Scorpions were squirming around on the back end...This was probably down to them running a lower pressure on the rear...Anyway I changed them after a 1000 miles and have put a set of Michelin pilot road 3's on....The bike feels so much better, you just have to give a bit longer for the Michelins to warm up......

Offline wedge

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Wisbech
Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 02:59:15 PM
Just had Maxxis diamonds fitted on a ride-in, ride-out basis
for £200. Not my first choice but at that price...

Too soon to know much except it turns in MUCH quicker
Mind you these do have a more "triangular" profile, hoping
this translates into more miles before they square off.

Offline crok

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: tiger800 vn900
Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 06:39:42 PM
*Originally Posted by spannerman35 [+]
I found when pushing the Crossrunner hard the Pirelli Scorpions were squirming around on the back end...This was probably down to them running a lower pressure on the rear...

why was that?
recommended pressures for scorpions are 2.25(F) 2.50(R)
Davy

Offline Cornersruns

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: VFR800-X (2012)
  • City / Town: Reading
Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 09:55:41 PM
Virtually every road bike has a pressure of 42PSI rear and 36PSI front, that includes the VFR800.

I and others have found it strange that Honda have them specified at 36PSI rear 32PSI Front, possibly due to the, alleged  :007:, off road capability.

The lower pressures make the bike feel squirmy at the rear and increasing to 42PSI makes the bike feel much better.  Although the Scorpions never felt planted in the wet even with the increased pressure.

Shaunomercy

Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 06:41:28 AM
*Originally Posted by Raindeer [+]
I thought its is about time that we start a tyre topic, where everyone can share information and experience's about tyres that are suitable for the CR.
This Will make the choice of which tyre you buy in the future maybe a lot easier and we make it more easy to find it on this forum instead of put different topics about one sort of tyre.
For example :  i am thinking about what kind of tyre i should choose. Is it gonna be a "roadsport"tyre or a all road tyre like the standard Pirelli Scorpion.
I am wondering if a allroad tyre can compeat whit a Roadsport tyre on the tarmac.

At this moment I'm yousing a set of Continental road Attack's. My experience's are pretty satisfying so far.  They are stable in fast corners and the grip in the dry is good. In the wet no complains so far. In tight corners i feel that they are a bit nervous(not sure that its a tyre problem)   I Will give a better review about the Conti's  when  the wetter is a bit better(warmer and dryer) so i can test them whit a little more pressure :007:
I had road attack 2s on my vtec.  They were brill.  They have a good rep on vfrd and other vfr forums.
When I replace the pirelli they will be changed to the met z8 this time.
I follow the motorrad tests and go on what they say is best.  Ive never been disappointed.

Offline tramunt

• Crossrunner Junior
  • City / Town: Barcelona
Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 07:19:32 PM
Could someone say an average milage durability of the pirelli scorpion?
is a type for about 3000 or 6000miles ?

Offline kiko

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: CR
  • City / Town: Toledo
Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 10:30:53 PM
About 4500 Miles in my case.

Offline tramunt

• Crossrunner Junior
  • City / Town: Barcelona
Reply #9 on: May 12, 2013, 09:08:29 PM
Gracias kiko :)

I’m looking for a durable tyre , may be for large travel…,  something is in my mind… :-)
This pirelli seems a middle point between sport and tourism…  Thanks!