Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: BMW 800GT  (Read 3727 times)

Offline leathers999

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Andover
BMW 800GT
on: March 20, 2013, 04:22:49 PM
Got bored and went for a nice ride through the Hampshire countryside yesterday and ended up in the BMW dealers near Alton. Saw the new GT800 and asked for a ride. Guy gave me the keys and off I went, in my opinion the bike is RUBBISH!!  The parallel twin engine is gutless, I know compared to our V4 it will be down on power but it is not just that, it is so softly tuned to get the impressive mpgs they get that when I was "accelerating" I felt like getting off and pushing it to get it to go faster. Also the vibes you get through the bars are horrendous (no wonder they have those really long bar end weights on it ..but they dont work) considering this is being sold as a tourer what with the buzzy engine and bad vibes through the bars into your hands you will want to get off it every half hour.
The new screen and fairing they are so proud of gives no better protection than my CR with a powerbronze touring screen.
Riding position is cramped as this is a small bike (think size of a 500cc).

Quality of finish is not as good as our Honda and the switch gear looks like it was made out of a pack of Dolly Mixtures ...nasty!!

The clocks (especially the speedo) are almost illegible - I know I am just over 50 and the eyes start to go but the numbers are so close together its hard to read and if you cant see if you are doing 30 or 40mph then plod will be interested in you!!

On the plus side it handles well.

The cost is ridiculous, basic model £8100 then add on board computer as without it you get stuff all information £100, main stand £100 and you are looking at a basic of £8300....no thanks.

And finally .........it is boring as hell!!!

Offline uoorns

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: crossrunner
  • City / Town: northampton
Re: BMW 800GT
Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 07:01:03 PM
I only got as far as sitting on one in a showroom. I was surprised how far forward you had to reach for the handlebars. It was, for me, uncomfortable and made me appreciate the much more upright position of the Crossrunner. Also, overall appearance of the BM seemed to me to be dated and not nearly as purposeful/sleek as the CR.
hornetsfan

Offline Jimbo675

• Crossrunner Pro
  • City / Town: Melbourne
Re: BMW 800GT
Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 11:12:20 PM
Agree...I test rode the 800 adventure bike and the motor is very soft. Overtaking required much consideration.