Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: 2013 model, lower footpegs  (Read 13741 times)

Offline crok

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: tiger800 vn900
2013 model, lower footpegs
on: April 06, 2013, 10:06:17 AM
anyone tried the 2013 model, sat on one, looked at one even?
How much lower are the pegs, and how does it feel in comparison to previous model?
I've only seen brochure pics, can see the rearset plate is a different shape but difficult to tell new peg height.

Davy

Offline crok

• Crossrunner Member
Re: 2013 model, lower footpegs
Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 06:56:42 PM
have done a montage comparison, top is 2011, bottom is 2013.
Tried to indicate where I reckon the pegs are, not all that clear, but 2013 looks slightly lower and forward. Need better photos someone!

PS edited with arrows to show position
Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 07:21:24 PM by crok
Davy

Offline Cornersruns

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: VFR800-X (2012)
  • City / Town: Reading
Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 09:16:19 PM
Look at the position of the tyre valves in the 2 pictures, and the sidewall text on the front tyre.  Either Honda's art editors are very aware of corporate image and ensure they are in the same position for all pictures, or maybe the photos are photoshoped!

I am a bit suspicious of those photos.

Offline crok

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 09:44:50 PM
2011 pic I found on my computer downloaded Nov-2010, taken 21/09/2010 on a Haselblad according to the file info!

2013 pic I downloaded today from Honda website, it arrived as a png with no info.

Agree it's a bit spooky how much is exactly the same. I was surprised how much the pegs had moved forward.

We need better photos anyway - it's difficult to make out the pegs in these, or some comparative measurements, and what it feels like to sit on.
Davy

Offline Black Jack

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: VFR800X
  • City / Town: North Yorkshire
Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 02:37:32 PM
What a welcome change in the weather, at least in these parts. I've just got back from doing what every red-blooded motorcyclist, dressed head-to-toe in black, riding a black motorcycle, should be doing on such a lovely Sunday morning - I've taken 'Black Jack' for a run to Waitrose for a coffee and French Patisserie (well, we were out of Gruyere and Maille mustard).

The ride back was so enjoyable I began to wonder whether anyone REALLY has had problems with the position of those footrests. I can see that anyone taller than I am (not difficult at 5ft8ins) might find the riding position a little cramped, but then this would be true of any one of the dozens of sports bikes that were out today as well. I will also admit that, having spent a few years commuting on trail bikes, I'm used to that riding position. I once (foolishly) bought a Velo Venom that had had a Thruxton makeover - rearsets, clipons and reduced steering lock. The thing was unrideable. I ended up putting standard Velo bars on it, removed the steering restrictor and buzzed about on it using the rearsets. To me the Crossrunner's riding position is perfectly OK - different perhaps, but perfectly OK.

However, I was initially put off the Crossrunner; but only by the reports of the motorcycling journalists who didn't like the looks and who said the footrests were too high and too far back. These are the same people who have been telling me for years that I should be riding a road bike that looks like a race bike, and more recently have admitted I am also allowed to ride a road bike that looks like an adventure bike. But THEN I actually rode the Crossrunner - what a great bike. It rides and handles like my old TS250 Suzuki trail bike, but with a 100BHP motor in it.

Is anybody actually troubled by the riding position, or are we just being bullied into accepting the opinions of the press who think that every bike should either be a Triumph or a BMW?  :419:

Offline Cornersruns

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 03:34:45 PM
I find the foot pegs position acceptable, just.  I would be happier with them a bit lower, by an inch or two.  Just look at the hero blobs, ridiculously long, to see how much lower the foot pegs could easily go.  Honda either didn't think about changing the position or wouldn't for cost considerations.

Honda, laughably, call this an adventure bike for marketing reasons.  I'm sure as no one would sensibly take this off road.  The high pegs don't match with that image.

Shaunomercy

Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 04:05:34 PM
Its an adventure style bike without the soggy long travel suspension.  The crossrunner will tackle fire tracks without an issue.
How many so called adventure bikes actually go off road. And whats your definition of off road ?  Kickstart from the 80s on the bbc ?
The adventure style is a marketing exercise pure and simple.
These types of bikes are never going to be off road able like a trail bike from the 80s-90s. Xt, klr etc.
Bar top speed the cr is a very quick bike from a to b and easier to ride quicker than its sister bike.  And lets not forget the vfr is still one of the best sport tourers available.
Paul
Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 04:07:30 PM by Shaunomercy

Offline Cornersruns

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 05:17:17 PM
I refer to the side mounted rads as being the killer for any off road work, tracks etc rather than motoX.  Lets face it on loose surfaces you would expect to have a drop or 2 and the rads would get punctured pretty easily.  I bought it up about the foot pegs as if the bike was really made as an off roader the foot pegs should be lower to aid balance when out of the saddle.

I love the Xrunner, there are a few niggles that I can live with (as there are with any bike)  I absolutely hate the plastic around the bars but that's cosmetic and doesn't interfere with the way the bikes works, as soon as I'm in the saddle I forget about the horrible look of them.  Otherwise I wouldn't have invested that sort of money into a bike that I'm planning to live with for several years.  I was more taking a pop at Honda's marketing, and the people with no independent capacity for thought that fall for the marketing.  Just look at the new 500's.  3 "different" bikes!!!

Offline Crow

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bikes are not just for sunny Sundays
  • City / Town: Afton Down
Reply #8 on: May 11, 2013, 08:49:13 PM
I have just done 800 miles in two days and found my legs were uncomfortable after just over a hundred miles. I am going to see if I can make some adapters to remount the pegs lower and if simple enough further forward.
2012 Crossrunner
1969 T120 Bonneville

Offline crok

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #9 on: May 12, 2013, 10:24:08 AM
have you seen these?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130820081068?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

let us know how you get on.
also has anyone seen a 2013 crossrunner yet? I want to test sit one!
Davy