Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Old vs New  (Read 2869 times)

Offline mrvelcrofast

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: VFR800X,VFR750FV
  • City / Town: London
Old vs New
on: April 20, 2013, 12:32:20 PM
Hi, had a couple of issues with the works CR lately.... firstly the rear shock started leaking, then on Wednesday one of the coils failed (symptoms it was only running on 2 cylinders, power was really down, and there was horrible smell of unburnt petrol). Not totally inspiring considering the bike has only done 19K miles!
It's at Chiswick Honda being sorted under warranty.

I've finally got round to getting my 125K miles 97 VFR750FV back on the road. I started doing a front end conversion on it about 18 months ago (changed forks and brake callipers for CBR600F4 versions so you get fully adjustable forks and 4 piston brakes. Also changed fork yokes to VFR800 VTEC versions).
Took a lot longer than I'd planned as i bought a few wrong bits!
Just been and got the 750 Mot'd. Rode it about 10 miles either way to and from bike shop. What a stonking machine. I have to say that it pisses over the CR. The engine/gearbox (even after 125K miles) is a peach. I love the whirring sound of those gear driven cams. Sounds so precise.
This bike is on it's original rear shock and original clutch.
The biggest thing ..... how much less it weighs! Minus all that crappy ABS rubbish, minus the 2 radiator/fans. It's very noticeable.

It makes me question progress/technical advances etc .... if it ain't broke, don't fix it!
What say you road warriors??  :002:

Offline wedge

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Wisbech
Re: Old vs New
Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 03:01:29 PM
If ABS weighed 5 stone I'd still have it

Offline mrvelcrofast

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: VFR800X,VFR750FV
  • City / Town: London
Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 09:22:07 PM
*Originally Posted by wedge [+]
If ABS weighed 5 stone I'd still have it
As hard as I've tried, I've never got the ABS to kick in on the CR??

Shaunomercy

Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 06:36:21 AM
I provoked the abs to work on the day I bought my cr.  On a greasy wet road I stood on the brakes as hard as I could.  The abs kicked in and the bike stopped so quick i nearly over balanced and dropped it.

The fix and fiy dont handle as well as the vtec 800.  The gear driven cam argument is way over played imho.

The biggest gripe of the vtec is cost of servicing, but put into context its not much more costly than triumph on a street triple or any other bike being done at a main steeler.

Offline crok

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: tiger800 vn900
Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 10:32:50 AM
three and a half years with my cbf and abs never kicked in. One real emergency stop ... still didn't. On balance though ABS is a safety reserve. I'd just rather not have the 'combined' part. I'd prefer to control when front is going to engage, ie. pedal is back, RH lever is front.
Davy