Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: CR Meets in europe  (Read 4247 times)

Offline Slidy

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Cleobury
CR Meets in europe
on: May 03, 2013, 09:11:52 PM
Ok Guys, I've just been checking out the 'Members map' and it looks like we may be in with a shout of meeting up with some far flung Crossrunners on our little trip.

August 16th is the start date, when we cross that little bit of water between us and the great continent of Europe.

Across northern France on that day (ish), leaving us 2 days to do Switzerland & Lichtenstein, before tackling the Stelvio pass on the Monday morning (19th). Then heading through (no real itinerary) Austria, Slovenia, Croatia, Hungary, then up to Slovakia for 3/4 days, doing day trips (well one trip planned so far) into Poland.

After Slovakian hospitality, we are heading back through the Czech Republic, Germany, Luxembourg(?), Belgium, France(again) and home 16 days later.

Two of us on my CR, and another couple on their Aprilia Caponord. :150:

If there is anybody out there, on, or near, our very loosely planned route who would like to meet up, or even offer us a bed(or two) for the night, please feel free to offer us your advice on good roads to travel.

We are really looking forward to this trip and would love any local advice and/or meets along our way. I know the route is rather vague, and the countries we are planning are rather large, but we are flexible if we get good ideas from locals.

Suggestions anybody??

Offline SwissVFR

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: 87VFR + 2011CR
  • City / Town: St-Legier
Re: CR Meets in europe
Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 10:51:46 PM
I'm near Lausanne, Switzerland (western bit), if you're itinerary takes you near here, love to meet up, will be in-country and on vacation in mid-August...
--sv

Offline Slidy

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Cleobury
Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 01:34:16 PM
Hi Swiss,

We still haven't (and probably wont) made any firm plans, just a few vague ideas of things we would like to do. The Stelvio pass is the only thing we have all agreed on so far! and will be riding that on Monday 19 August, but before we get there we were thinking about La Tremola pass, depending on the weather conditions, as it doesn't look like it would be fun in the rain!!

Have you ridden this?

http://alpinebiker.com/blog/?tag=la-tremola

It looks amazing!!

If we are anywhere near Lausanne I can give you a shout the day before for a meet up.

Cheers

Alan

Offline SwissVFR

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: 87VFR + 2011CR
  • City / Town: St-Legier
Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 02:18:52 PM
Yes, I have - along time ago on my '86 VFR...  This is the original San-Gottard pass road before they built first the new pass road and then the tunnel... Not a go-fast route (it's cobblestones in most places) but fun to ride.  you'll have to watch out for the cyclists (non-motorized), it's a road that is also very popular with them.

The Stelvio is of course a classic, 52 numbered hairpins on the Italian side...  In that area of Europe, you almost can't go wrong with roads, there are so many to ride...  In Switzerland in that area there are also the Julier and Bernina passes, near Stelvio, for more adventure there are the Umbrail and Gavia passes - both mostly unpaved but navigable with a street bike (I did them on the VFR, so no problem for the CR), and of course once you get into the Dolomites, you can go completely around Sella on a day tour...

Too much fun...
--SV

* Recent Topics

recent