Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Customised seat  (Read 6754 times)

Offline Cripes

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: KTM 390 Duke
  • City / Town: Chester
Customised seat
on: June 28, 2013, 05:45:39 PM
After a mammoth trip covering 850 miles in two days, I decided that it would be worthwhile forking out for a replacement seat, in time for my next (even longer) trip in three weeks time.

I'd had a custom seat on a BMW F650 Funduro,and loved it. It was made by CM SEATS of Coventry, http://www.cmseats.com so I contacted them a few weeks back, to enquire on costs and timescale.
After prompt communications I sent my seat down (it was their first Crossrunner seat, so no templates) and less than a week later it was delivered to my door, all done.

I went for a basket weave style covering, with a gelastic pad for the rider section, and all topped off with red piping. The cost was £220 (excluding my shipping to them).

I've done about 90 miles over the last three days, so here are my initial thoughts.

I think it looks great, without being over the top - a nice 'upgrade'. It is much more comfortable than the 2011 stock seat, which I found slippy and increasingly uncomfortable over any distance of 50 miles and above.

The new seat stops the slide forward, but the gel pad takes a bit of getting used to, as I'm more aware of a floating feeling than with foam. The comfort does depend on your seat positioning and trouser material, and I'm still experimenting. The new seat increases the seat height ever so little, but you can specify a cut-down option.

I was concerned about the potential damage to the seat due to strapping down on ferries, so will need to have some extra padding ready for this.

So far it's a qualified thumbs up, and I hope to report after the real test later next month - watch this space!

Offline Slidy

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Cleobury
Re: Customised seat
Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 11:56:27 PM
Sounds good so far. Do you have an opinion from a pillion how comfy, or not, her seat would be?

Offline kiko

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: CR
  • City / Town: Toledo
Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 10:03:04 AM
Thanks.
I am waiting for your next trip and your comments.

Kiko

Offline Slidy

• Crossrunner Pro
Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 10:16:51 AM
Cripes - If you're still here . . .

What is the verdict on the seat by cm seats? . . Mine needs some work now, and was thinking of gel inserts and recovering here. I take it they would now have a crossrunner template so wouldn't take them long to do.

Dave6048

Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 03:55:05 PM
Hi, I had my seat done by CM Seats in March 2014. It took a total of 2 weeks for me to get it back but, that was because the bloke who does it was away on holiday in the USA.
I had the basket weave with gel inserts done (Looks very similar to the one in the photos except I went for black piping - my bike is white). It looks stunning and is really comfortable - no more sliding onto the tank as they built up the front too.
It cost me £250 plus postage and I reckon it was money well spent.
Hope it helps.

Offline Slidy

• Crossrunner Pro
Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 06:51:03 PM
Thanks Dave, I messaged them yesterday, not really expecting a reply as it was bank holiday, and they messaged back within 2 hours.

I think the basket weave with gel inserts is the way to go. Luckily I do a couple of afternoons driving for a mate, and the route takes me within 2 miles of CM seats. So I'll be dropping it off on Thursday.

Thanks again.

Offline Slidy

• Crossrunner Pro
Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 08:04:15 PM

Bit of a difference!

Offline Cripes

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: KTM 390 Duke
  • City / Town: Chester
Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 06:28:43 PM
*Originally Posted by Slidy [+]
Cripes - If you're still here . . .

What is the verdict on the seat by cm seats? . . Mine needs some work now, and was thinking of gel inserts and recovering here. I take it they would now have a crossrunner template so wouldn't take them long to do.

Sorry for the delay in replying. As you may gather, I now ride a KTM 390 Duke and my Crossrunner is for sale at Gear 4 Motorcycles.

My custom seat is a big improvement on the original stock seat, but not as comfy as the one I had on the Funduro. I think being the guinea-pig on the first Crossrunner seat at CM has probably led to some improvements by now.

I would still recommend them but it's certainly not cheap for what it is, and it's not a guaranteed answer to numb bum syndrome!

recent