Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Is it tru?  (Read 10900 times)

Offline Raindeer

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: VFR800X
  • City / Town: Friesland
Is it tru?
on: July 10, 2013, 09:45:32 AM
Today i was reading on the forum of the German VFROC. There was a Cr owner that bring his bike to a Honda dealer for some maintenance and that Honda dealer told that Honda stops the production of the CR :005:.
Don't no if that is true, but its should be a shame :003:.

Fact is that  the first time (in almost a year) i saw a (1)CR on the road, was at the dutch TT at Assen on the A28. But that day a saw thousands of motorcycles , so its a rear specie's.

Another fact is that i see a lot of CR in the shop and on the internet that are on sale fore a year now.

So i think the bike is a disappointment for Honda in a sales point of view.

Really a shame because in my opinion its a great bike that is really underestimated by the big crowd.

Offline Jimbo675

• Crossrunner Pro
  • City / Town: Melbourne
Re: Is it tru?
Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 11:11:34 AM
They certainly seem to be selling at clearance prices here.

Offline Raindeer

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: VFR800X
  • City / Town: Friesland
Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 08:54:27 AM
Nobody on this international forum knows if it is true? :027:

Offline Kurare79

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: VFR800 X
  • City / Town: Freiburg
Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 08:22:39 PM
I can only say, that I heard the same at the German Crosstourer-Board. Next year, no more Crossrunner :-(

Offline crok

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: tiger800 vn900
Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 10:24:07 AM
it's a shame Honda put in the development work for the 2013 model to move the pegs down and forward only to drop it. They're not selling, and I don't see CR's on the roads. CR is expensive compared to other bikes, esp. the NC700X which looks similar, apparently runs on virtually no fuel, and is raved about in the press!

I guess the CR is just the wrong bike at the wrong time, never owned one, but the CR is one of the nicest bikes I've ridden.
Davy

Offline Cornersruns

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: VFR800-X (2012)
  • City / Town: Reading
Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 06:13:34 PM
*Originally Posted by crok [+]
CR is expensive compared to other bikes, esp. the NC700X which looks similar, apparently runs on virtually no fuel, and is raved about in the press!

I guess the CR is just the wrong bike at the wrong time, never owned one, but the CR is one of the nicest bikes I've ridden.
The NC700 was the replacement for the CBF600, apparently.  But the NC is gutless compared to the CBF or the CR.  Compared to the standard VFR800 the CR is about £1000 cheaper, much better value.

I wish I knew why the CR is not selling, it's a fantastic bike with a decent riding position.

Honda decided to class it as an adventure bike, which it is clearly not, as a marketing thingy.  Adventure seems to be the biggest moving class of bike but it doesn't seem to have helped CR sales.

People who own the CR seem to love it, I know I do, people who test ride it seem to love it ( from discussions with mates who are considering the bike ) people who ride with me are impressed by what it can do.  So why isn't it selling?  Who knows what the fickle bike buying folks are thinking ;-)

Offline Slidy

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Cleobury
Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 06:46:25 PM
I got my CR at the right price 18 months ago(£2000 below book price) and absolutely love it!

Last year was a bit slack what with all the rain, just one trip to France and a couple of weekenders. This year we've done Lakes & Scotland 1,350 miles, Devon & Cornwall 650 miles, and a big European trip next month.

The CR never misses a beat when two up and fully loaded - Honda luggage, throw overs and dry bag on top box - Sits nicely at motorway speeds (whenever we can't avoid them), handles great round the lanes of Shropshire & Wales (my usual solo ride), and is so much more comfortable than my old VFR800Fi.

I agree with Cornersruns, that a big part of why they haven't sold more is down to Honda mis-marketing it as 'Adventure'.

I don't mind if they do stop production, a rare bike is always a good talking point at tea stops! :001:

Offline crok

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: tiger800 vn900
Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 06:53:47 PM
I think Honda marketing screwed up. As you say CR is not an adventure bike, but they tried to ride on the back of adventure bike popularity. The Tiger 800 was perfectly marketed, with an offroadish version and a road biased version, but both with some adventure type credentials. The CR should have been called a naked bike, or a sports tourer, and the footpegs should have been repositioned from the start. Also pricewise (ie. retail price) the Tiger 800 is £1500-1700 cheaper. Comparing the CR to the NC700X I was meaning general appearance. I know why the CR costs more, it's an expensive bike to make. The CB1000 must be an expensive bike too (but not quite to CR level!) but that bike really had its identity sorted from day1.

Davy

Offline DetourPhil

• Crossrunner Pro
Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 08:25:22 PM
It'll be a shame if there is truth in this, I have been browsing used CR's recently - there are quite a few 2+ yr old demonstrators & pre reg bikes. I have yet to see a CR listed privately.

I think Honda lost tgeir way with the styling a bit & vtec servicing costs.

Still looking for a nice well priced red one :)

Phik

Shaunomercy

Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 08:51:39 AM
I doubt honda would drop the cr in such a short time.   It's not something they have done before.  Other bikes in the range have also sold slowly in uk.  Notably the vfr vtec, transalp, varadero.  As is normally the case the cr has sold more in Europe than in the UK.