Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: dangerous sidestand cutout fault  (Read 2861 times)

Offline johnyC

• Crossrunner Junior
  • Bike: vfrx'13
  • City / Town: Ayr
dangerous sidestand cutout fault
on: August 02, 2013, 11:38:42 AM
hello chaps, first post here and sorry it's a gloomy one (I love my vfrx btw) but thought I'd better share this incase anybody else has this problem lurking and doesn't know about it. I share my bikes with my son and the crossrunner sits out in the drive where he parks it in all weathers. The problem is water ingress to the plug connector joining the sidestand cutout switch to the rest of the wiring harness. Here's the email I sent to my Honda dealer to highlight the problem to them:

I've shown in the attached picture, the male / female plug parts joining the sidestand cutout switch with the loom. The function of the switch had failed, allowing the bike to be in gear with engine running and sidestand down, presenting an unsafe condition. The switch later proved to be sound, as the fault was caused by ingress of water to the adjoining plug parts. When the parts were separated, water was present, having presumably trickled down there via the cable. The cable shroud which envelopes the plug connectors for the sidestand switch and the O2 sensor, is not waterproof where the cables run through it, allowing a path for rainwater that finds it's way in there. I think this is potentialy serious enough to warrant further attention at the manufacturing stage, but fir now I will be taking my own preventitive measures to waterproof the connection. regards, John Cunningham

Offline johnyC

• Crossrunner Junior
  • Bike: vfrx'13
  • City / Town: Ayr
Re: dangerous sidestand cutout fault
Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 11:45:10 AM
To remedy this I rerouted the cables for the two items that share the shroud, then waterproofed the same by sealing the top with silicone rtv and using the original Honda bracket to reposition as shown:

Offline mrvelcrofast

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: VFR800X,VFR750FV
  • City / Town: London
Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 09:56:51 PM
Already had one of these switches replaced under warranty, the replacement switch was also faulty out the box, so we had to wait for the third!! (which makes me question if it's just a water problem?!).
Yet again the problem has come back, but I do notice it's usually after I've washed the bike and it usually only last's for a day or 2.
It is dangerous and Honda need to do something about this.

Strangely, this switch is different to the VFR800 Vtecs. Don't know if it's the actual switch or cable length?

Offline jcpgyeri

• Crossrunner Junior
  • Bike: VFR800X Black
  • City / Town: Granollers
Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 04:51:43 PM
Ugh, bad feeling
::: La vida pasa mejor sobre dos ruedas :::