Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Akrapovic, K&N and Powercommander  (Read 3784 times)

Offline musicdpk

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: Honda Crossrunne
  • City / Town: Sydney
Akrapovic, K&N and Powercommander
on: December 04, 2013, 08:03:35 PM
I have an Akra pipe and K&N filter. The filter is being installed, haven't ridden it yet. I was informed by Honda agents that the Power Commander for CR is not available in Australia and one of Honda's service managers told me not to bother with PC or dyno, because VFR800's hate dynos. He said the bike's exhaust oxygen sensor would make the ECU remap the mixture control. Any thoughts?

Offline crok

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: tiger800 vn900
Re: Akrapovic, K&N and Powercommander
Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 09:20:38 PM
some aftermarket exhausts are designed to be run with original ECU map, don't know if the akra you have is one of those ... my guess is not ie. should have its own map. Freeing up the filter would also suggest a remap, not sure though.

The O2 sensors are not a substitute for another map! They affect the mixture at idling speed and at other steady running speeds, in these conditions they try to lean out the mixture as much as they can. That is my understanding anyway.

Davy

Offline DetourPhil

• Crossrunner Pro
Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 09:44:47 PM
*Originally Posted by musicdpk [+]
I have an Akra pipe and K&N filter. The filter is being installed, haven't ridden it yet. I was informed by Honda agents that the Power Commander for CR is not available in Australia and one of Honda's service managers told me not to bother with PC or dyno, because VFR800's hate dynos. He said the bike's exhaust oxygen sensor would make the ECU remap the mixture control. Any thoughts?

Sounds like guy is talking bull!
I'm sure the bike will run fine wile a (legal) can & filter but it's always best to check on a dyno & pc if needed.
As Croc says, the ox sensor only adjusts fuelling at idle/low constant revs, under all other running conditions the bike will use the ecu map which is adjusted with input from various sensors.

The bike WILL run fine with the oxy sensor disconnected, might be worth a try on the dyno ;)

Offline musicdpk

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: Honda Crossrunne
  • City / Town: Sydney
Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 07:47:26 PM
Thanks for the replies - the bike is to my mind more responsive since getting the K&N fitted - the throttle is significantly more sensitive and the small surge up & down at around 3000 rpm has moved up to 4000 - 5000. I believe from your comments and some internet research that a PC will smooth things out - have been informed that a PC 5 can be obtained here via the States, and I've noticed that it has a couple of accessories available. Has anyone fitted the Akra pipe, K&N and PC?

recent