nordkapp

Views: 152
Posted by: Adst
in: Adst
IMG 2655

Views: 292
Posted by: Adst
in: Adst

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Changing Horses Midstream  (Read 2271 times)

Offline skyhawk

• Crossrunner Junior
    • View Profile
Changing Horses Midstream
« on: October 23, 2011, 04:23:34 AM »
Salutations to all viewers.
This post emanates from Australia.
I am considering a change of steed. I currently ride a Honda CBF 1000. Without doubt (in my opinion) a fantastic bike.
Prior to the CBF I rode a Honda ST1300. Again a great bike. However, with advancing years and not actually doing long touring rides I downsized to the CBF.
The problem for me is simply that I loved the V four engine configuration.
This is my sole reason for considering changing from the CBF to the Crossrunner.
I am sure that there are other riders who have pondered this scenario.
I should be most grateful of advice based upon personal experience.
 Regards to all

Skyhawk

Offline xrunjoe

• Crossrunner Master
  • Ex crossrunner owner
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Ex CR owner
  • City / Town: Northampton
Re: Changing Horses Midstream
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 12:56:45 PM »
My last two bikes were straight 4 cylinder suzuki 650 and 1250. I had the latter for only one year and I still do some long distance touring plus quite a high social mileage each year. I decided I wanted a slightly taller bike with more of an upright riding position and a bit more finess. I also am getting on a bit (61).

A change to the CBF might have given me some of this I think but it was too close to the Suzuki to warrant the move. I tested various options and it was a no brainer when it came down to it - combination of ring position and the smoothness of V4 engine swung it in favour of the Crossrunner.

Heart over-ruled the head in terms of price I suppose and I have been a bit annoyed to find there is possibly a top speed restrictor on the UK bike - but I don;t think this applies to the Autralian version.

Not much in weight between the bikes mentioned - but the crossruner carries its weight very cleverly and it does feel much lighter than it actually is.

Others on here should be able to give you some more specific comment but I hope this helps.
At the end of the day, maybe only some extensive road testing will make your mind up?
Suzuki GSX650F, 1250F, Crossrunner, Kawasaki Z1000SX

Shaunomercy

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 09:16:28 AM »
*Originally Posted by xrunjoe [+]
My last two bikes were straight 4 cylinder suzuki 650 and 1250. I had the latter for only one year and I still do some long distance touring plus quite a high social mileage each year. I decided I wanted a slightly taller bike with more of an upright riding position and a bit more finess. I also am getting on a bit (61).

A change to the CBF might have given me some of this I think but it was too close to the Suzuki to warrant the move. I tested various options and it was a no brainer when it came down to it - combination of ring position and the smoothness of V4 engine swung it in favour of the Crossrunner.

Heart over-ruled the head in terms of price I suppose and I have been a bit annoyed to find there is possibly a top speed restrictor on the UK bike - but I don;t think this applies to the Autralian version.

Not much in weight between the bikes mentioned - but the crossruner carries its weight very cleverly and it does feel much lighter than it actually is.

Others on here should be able to give you some more specific comment but I hope this helps.
At the end of the day, maybe only some extensive road testing will make your mind up?

210kph still equates to 130mph.  I understand what your getting at with Honda not being upfront about a possible speed restriction, but in all honesty, how often are you going to see 130mph ?
There is only the Multistrada thats got the legs of the xrunner.
Paul

Offline xrunjoe

• Crossrunner Master
  • Ex crossrunner owner
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Ex CR owner
  • City / Town: Northampton
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 05:35:17 PM »
I gather the speed restriction is 123mph/200kph. 123mph true speed would probably show as 130 on speedo - but is overstated as they always tend to be. I probably only did about 1,000 miles (all overseas)at over 100 miles per hour  out of 15,000 in last 12 months - but wanted to retain the ability to do that well within the bikes capability - not at the outer edge - and that's what the reviews said it could do.

Yes, it's the principle which has naffed me right off - partly due to suggestion that its only cos we have to have the same bike as Germany (no offence guys over there) where regs are tougher, and partly cos I like to deal with honest people.

That does not detract from the fact that I find the bike very good in virtually all other aspects.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 05:43:44 PM by xrunjoe »
Suzuki GSX650F, 1250F, Crossrunner, Kawasaki Z1000SX

Offline Rocker66

• Crossrunner Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2011 Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Ashford Kent
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 09:57:02 AM »
When I decided to sell my VFR1200 DCT due its weight and my age +knee injury it was a toss up between the CBF1000FA and the Crossrunner. One of the reasons I chose the runner was the fact that my wife owns a CBF1000 FA (her 3rd CBF1000) and I didn't want to do the his & hers bit. the other reason is that to me the the runner felt a bit sportier and more nimble so therefore more fun. Having said that there is not much in it. I also love the V-TEC effect on the runner. I have also owned a ST1300 which whilst an excellent bike I didn't find that it had a great fun factor. Maybe it was too much like my everyday form of transport a 700 Deauville
4 wheels move the body 2 wheels move the soul
Audere est Facere

recent