Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Power point & accessories  (Read 2857 times)

Offline Ariel

• Crossrunner Junior
  • Bike: Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Winchester
Power point & accessories
on: July 07, 2014, 02:42:30 PM
I want to fit switched heated grips, GPS power and a power-point for my heated vest and noticed a red connecter at the front right under the seat. The connector looks like the one on my BMW that I used for GPS power; anyone know if it is a switched power-plug and how many Amps you can draw from it?

Offline Cornersruns

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: VFR800-X (2012)
  • City / Town: Reading
Re: Power point & accessories
Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 09:08:04 PM
Thats the diagnostic connector.  I don't know for certain but I doubt it is rated to handle much current.

Offline Ariel

• Crossrunner Junior
Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 09:27:57 AM
Thanks for your reply, very helpful. There is, Ive found directly from Honda UK technical, an accessories plug under the left fairing panel which takes the Honda 'Quartet' harness that has four different plugs on the other end. The Honda fella didn't have tech specs but said plugs can take approximately,:

Heated Grips 2amps
12v socket 2amps
GPS 2 Amps
Radio 1 amp

However, Ive bought a pair of Honda 360 degree heated grips, and glue, off Tippetts-Honda via ebay for a total of £129 delivered. 'Kit' includes heat controller and mounting plates & bolts, harness and piggy-back connectors to take positive 'off' the front brake switch and negative 'off' an indicator. Apart from the piggy-back mini-harnesses being the wrong colour (I don't suppose the electrons will notice) - plug and pray? Obviously other brands of grips are available and cheaper - Daytona being my favourite, but it seems Honda are always recommended as the best. We'll see. Oh yes, and I do realise its summer:)

Offline DetourPhil

• Crossrunner Pro
Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 10:05:14 PM
Interesting what the Honda guy says (sounds like bull!) Anyway, the switched + ve wire for the quartet harness takes 10amp, although I can't recall the colour off hand.
How do I know????
Because it comes straight from the 10a accessory fuse under the seat ;)

I'm sure you'll be fine using the feed for brake light but it just seems wrong to me!
Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 10:07:00 PM by DetourPhil

Offline Ariel

• Crossrunner Junior
Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 12:05:21 PM
Phil Thanks for your response. I must admit to sensing a certain degree of bull from Mr Honda who clearly didn't really want to talk to me, 'thats the dealers job'. Anyway, if it comes via a 10a fuse it must be capable of taking up to 10a. Ideally I'd take a feed directly from the connector that the Quartet Harness plugs into, unfortunately I understand its a proprietary connector which I can't get and I don't want to hack into the loom. Or buy a quartet harness for £35.

So 'piggy-backing' the brake-light (+) and indicator (-) seems to be the way to go for an electrical numpty like me.

recent