Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Lurking  (Read 2121 times)

Offline novamundial

• Crossrunner Junior
  • City / Town: Rossendale
Lurking
on: September 25, 2014, 12:30:30 PM
Looking to buy a new(used) bike having sold my Tiger 800 due to family issues that have now been rectified, was looking to buy a Tiger 1050, but was then drawn to the Crossrunner, i have an old VFR800(1998) and love the V4 engine. i a ride out on one and got to say very impressed, however i have heard they can be quite pricey to run ie heavy fuel consumption, and the dreaded 16k mile valve clearence check, any advice is welcome.
Anyone who has had both bikes give me a comparison?.
All advice welcome, and thanks in advance.

Offline crok

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: tiger800 vn900
Re: Lurking
Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 02:49:06 PM
I have a Tiger800 and test rode a CR ... very nearly buying one.

The deciding factor for me in the end was pillion accommodation, I'm sure CR is very capable with pillions but the Tiger800 is just more spacious.

I'd say the CR is more 'good road' orientated (apart from the original tyres!), the Tiger800 is very good on bumpy roads. The CR I rode was pre2013 so had the original peg positions, if you want legroom for extended riding I'd only consider the 2013 model. The Tiger800 (with seat in the high position) is very good for legroom (I'm 6ft+).

After 6000m my Tiger800 fuel consumtion overall was 54mpg, I guess the CR would have been ~50 or maybe less.

Two very different bikes targeting virtually the same market, you have to test ride the CR to see if it's for you. I thought it was one of the nicest bikes I've ridden.
Davy

Offline Slidy

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Cleobury
Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 07:33:18 AM
I rode my 1998 VFR800 over to a shop to test ride a 2011 Crossrunner, and within 5 minutes had a huge smile on my face.

It is without doubt, one of the best bikes I've ever ridden. Comfortable solo, or pillion, handles brilliantly - with the right tyres and pressures, and just keeps going.

I have read all the niggles people have with them, but must say I have not felt any of them.
I am 6ft1 tall, and the screen, and the footpegs are in just the right position. Fully loaded, two up, there is lots of room, and we can travel long distances in comfort.
Last year, we did almost 4,000 miles in 16 days, with full luggage, throw over panniers on top box, dry bag on top, and large tank bag. It was all good, and didn't feel cramped at all.

The fuel consumption thing really gets me. I tested it on a 1,500 mile trip around Scotland, and got 42 to the gallon, mixed motorway and scenic riding. I haven't bothered measuring it again, just fill up when near empty and keep riding.

The only thing I have had done is get gel inserts in the seat, and recovered it in basket  weave leather, which adds more comforts, and stops my pillion sliding around.

I think you can tell I'm a fan. No regrets whatsoever about changing the VFR800fi for a more upright ride.

Offline michaeldouglas72

• Crossrunner Junior
  • Bike: Camouflage
  • City / Town: Crieff
Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 03:20:02 PM
I rode a Tiger 800 too and hated it, the gearing was extremely short, the build quality was poor. It was comfortable but my 2013 crossrunner is much more comfortable. The triple is a good engine but the V4 is the best there is. Honda build quality is very good and I cannot fault my bike. I admit there are better bikes out there with better components but as a mile munching machine the VFR800X is a winner.

Offline novamundial

• Crossrunner Junior
  • City / Town: Rossendale
Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 04:36:42 PM
thanks for the replies

recent