Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Afternoon all :)  (Read 1898 times)

Offline mrvelcrofast

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: VFR800X,VFR750FV
  • City / Town: London
Afternoon all :)
on: October 05, 2014, 03:39:10 PM
Wow, didn't realise I'd been away for so long!
Thought I'd say hi and give you an update on the work bike.
Mileage is currently around 53K miles (this is low mileage for a 2+year old bike for me!).
Nothing untowards to report.
Have switched over to Bridgestones t30's after strong recommendation by Bob at FWR. Very different tyres to the 023's. Much more rigid carcass. Totally transform the bike. Feels more planted, but does get upset more easily with poor road surfaces. Are wearing well so far.
Front discs are getting rather thin. Head bearings are way past their best and clutch is showing signs of friction plates worn (the biting point is right at end of travel).

Just seen that the CR is to be updated this year. My first impressions (from seeing it) are the body work has got smaller and the bike has got taller! Not necessarily a good thing!

A few months back I had a test ride on the new VFR800 and the VFR1200:

The new VFR800 was a non-plus TBH. Just reminded me of my VFR750 really. Obviously felt a lot more polished and tight, but the basis of the bike has just gone back to the feel of the late 750's. Narrow and light. More sports orientated/Less lard. Def less of a touring bike! It felt too light if anything. As soon as you got the power on, it was getting really messy with any blemish on the road surface!

The 1200 was sublime. One of those bikes you can get on and ride easily. The engine was something rather special and the bike's size (which worried me!) quickly hid itself. Just felt the same size as the CR I'd have one tomorrow!

There was talk of a new company bike a while back, but it looks like the current one is going to have to do a few more years before they will replace it.

Anyway, that's it for now!
Cheers :)

Offline Crow

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bikes are not just for sunny Sundays
  • City / Town: Afton Down
Re: Afternoon all :)
Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 10:30:13 PM
Good to see another CR being well used, my local dealer was horrified at me having done 33000 miles :D . My tyre chap has also recommended changing to T30's. Is it white lining or  just poor surfaces in general.
The only problems I have had are it occasionally likes to fall over off the stand for no obvious reason and a nice tapping noise between 1500/2000 revs.
Having ridden a Crosstourer I would love one and would not want to go back to a standard Vfr again through choice
2012 Crossrunner
1969 T120 Bonneville

Offline mrvelcrofast

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: VFR800X,VFR750FV
  • City / Town: London
Re: Afternoon all :)
Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 06:40:58 AM
The tapping noise you mention will be your cam chain tensioners. Get them done under warranty if yours is still current?!

I'm on my second set of T30's now! I've got used to the way they feel. Going back to the 023's would probably be quite a shock!

recent