Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Newbie  (Read 3115 times)

Offline Dunarin

• Ex Member
  • Crossrunner Member
on: November 14, 2014, 09:46:56 PM
Hi. Hoping to join thr CR ranks soon. Scouting Scotland & N of England for a suitable bike. Currently own NT700v which may go as part exchange.
Cheers. . . .

Offline Black Jack

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: VFR800X
  • City / Town: North Yorkshire
Re: Newbie
Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 03:43:48 PM
Hello, and welcome. I traded a NT700 in for the Crossrunner, and haven't looked back. Very different bikes of course, and can't really be compared - however, for anyone coming to the current Honda range the Crossrunner (the current 'JetSki' version) is about the nearest thing there is to the NT700. About the same weight and size, but the CR has far more useful performance. I don't mean merely speed - the extra power makes it far more responsive. Chain drive of course, but modern chains are far easier to maintain - just lubricate on a regular basis. I use good old-fashioned gear oil. Weather protection on the CR not so good, but motorway speeds are reasonably comfortable. That V4 is  more complex, obviously, and the valve-check servicing more pricey, but look what you get in exchange. Consumption, for me, is around 50MPG (NT700 was around 60MPG), but again, look what you get. The CR pulls like the V twin when you want it to, but then 'goes' like an Inline4 when you need it to. Handling, braking etc, of the CR is far superior. The luggage is more practical on the CR (being removable) and, most of all, I found the whole bike better balanced - especially two-up. That V4 puts the weight up front and low down. I thought the NT, especially two-up, had the weight strangely distributed. Same weight as the CR, but with a relatively small engine mass. I much prefer the weight up the front on the CR, rather than spread around as on the NT. If you have any doubts - have a test ride.

Offline Dunarin

• Ex Member
  • Crossrunner Member
Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 05:40:35 PM
Many thanks for the welcome & advice. I do like the Deauville, extremely practical but just didn't quite 'hit the spot' if you know what I mean. I will miss the protection when it rains though! I took my pals VFR800 for a run & loved the engine but riding position a bit sporty for me. Close to a deal on a Crossrunner with luggage package etc so fingers crossed.....

Offline Black Jack

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: VFR800X
  • City / Town: North Yorkshire
Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 10:48:52 AM
Not having ridden the VFR800F I can only go by the reports, but if you rode an older version (IE not the new 2014) the VETC 'step' has completely gone on the Crossrunner; and although some of the reviews complain about the footrest position, the general riding position is similar to the NT700. I spoke to the rider of a non-VTEC in the summer and he reckoned riding the early VTECs was like riding a 250 Superdream below 6K and a Fireblade above it. The weather protection is not too bad, although not as good as that high screen on the Deauville. I took the M180 as a shortcut home the other day in an absolute cloudburst and didn't get too wet. At one point a car behind me signalled to let me out, and I tried a courteous wave back while getting a bit of a move on. You realise just how good a job that small screen and those plastic panels do when you try lifting a hand into the slipstream.

Offline starky

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 06:18:45 PM
I have a crossrunner for sale on here :)

Offline Dunarin

• Ex Member
  • Crossrunner Member
Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 08:07:40 PM
Thanks Starky but already sourced one. Collecting next Saturday & can't wait. . .

Will report after putting a few miles in.

Cheers

Offline Dunarin

• Ex Member
  • Crossrunner Member
Reply #6 on: November 30, 2014, 07:54:46 PM
Collected my 12 plate Crossrunner yesterday & am still smiling  :001:

Offline Pembsbird

• Crossrunner Junior
  • Bike: Bandit 650
  • City / Town: Warwick
Reply #7 on: December 02, 2014, 07:19:58 PM
oooh, that's nice! :002:

Offline Dunarin

• Ex Member
  • Crossrunner Member
Reply #8 on: December 02, 2014, 10:29:43 PM
Thanks

Only managed a couple of hundred miles but delighted with her so far. Handling is effortless compared to the Deauville & the VTEC is  :001: . Overall bike is great fun & looking forward to putting some miles on in better weather.....