Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Rear Brake Caliper  (Read 2259 times)

Offline JMH

• Crossrunner Junior
  • Bike: 2011 XRunner
  • City / Town: Surbiton
Rear Brake Caliper
on: January 11, 2015, 11:05:58 PM
Hi,
Just changing the rear brake pads for the first time on this bike. Having problems fitting the new ones in.  Any tips and can anyone advise me which are the actual mounting bolts for the caliper?  Bit hard to tell with no cstand or paddock stand to lift it up on.

Offline stevepitcher

• Crossrunner Junior
  • Bike: Crossrunner 2011
  • City / Town: Melbourne
Re: Rear Brake Caliper
Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 06:58:42 AM
*Originally Posted by JMH [+]
Hi,
Just changing the rear brake pads for the first time on this bike. Having problems fitting the new ones in.  Any tips and can anyone advise me which are the actual mounting bolts for the caliper?  Bit hard to tell with no cstand or paddock stand to lift it up on.

Changing disk brake pads is generally pretty easy.  The mounting holes/bolts will not have changed from where the mounting bolts and brake callipers were removed. Where you may come unstuck is by squeezing the brake lever or brake pedal, in which case, you will probably need to drain the line/s of brake fluid (to take the pressure off the brake calliper/s), insert (and secure) the brake pads, re-attach the calliper/s (over the disc rotor) to the bike and then refill the reservoir/s (making sure to bleed the lines of any trapped air).  You will find a bleeder nozzle screwed into the calliper for such purpose.  If still unsure, I'd suggest watching a demonstrational video/tutorial on YouTube or similar.

Some people have tried using G-clamps and similar to 'force' the hydraulic calliper pistons back to an 'open' (unbraked) state.  This may work but is far from safe as it could damage the pistons and/or the calliper.

I hope the above assists but please consult a professional/qualified person if still unsure as braking is an essential safety component.

Offline stevepitcher

• Crossrunner Junior
  • Bike: Crossrunner 2011
  • City / Town: Melbourne
Re: Rear Brake Caliper
Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 07:14:24 AM
I should add, never mix brake fluids, except in an absolute emergency situation - they can and sometimes do have different properties and can lead to loss of braking if incompatible.