Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Exhaust systems  (Read 8825 times)

Offline Gongath

• Crossrunner Junior
  • Bike: Honda VFR Cross
  • City / Town: CHELMSFORD
Exhaust systems
on: February 16, 2015, 10:42:43 AM
Dear all

I have a 2011 VFR 800 Crosrunner and would like to give it a bit more 'grunt' as its very quiet. Any suggestions?

Online reasty

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: CR-750fj-Fat boy
  • City / Town: Croydon
Re: Exhaust systems
Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 05:40:05 PM
I've just got my cr and bought a beuwolf silencer at the London bike show on Friday.
They are made in the uk and the owners of the business at the show were very helpful inline with all the reviews I've read about them. The weather was dry and bright yesterday so I took the decision to have my first decent ride on the bike since buying it in January - this meant I didn't have a chance to fit it beforehand!
I'll report back as soon as it's done. I had a similar situation with the viffer fix I've got and fitted a Remus revolution - it just gives a bit more feedback through ones lug holes.
I'm amazed at the poor press the bike gets - I really can't find anything to dislike about it and can't wait to go out on it again - maybe it's an age thang.

Offline Gain

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: 2011 Crossrunner
  • City / Town: NW Leic's
Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 12:07:25 AM
My wife's bike has an Ixil pipe on it and is maybe a touch too noisey, but the pipe hasn't got any baffles / DB killer in it.
Regarding the bad press, it's put countless people off the bike, but like you, I cannot fault it.
I personally have a Kwak SX, but for all day every day comfort it's the CR every time.
She's been out and about today, making the most of the weather on her day off.  :022:   

Offline stevepitcher

• Crossrunner Junior
  • Bike: Crossrunner 2011
  • City / Town: Melbourne
Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 06:38:13 AM
*Originally Posted by Gongath [+]
Dear all

I have a 2011 VFR 800 Crosrunner and would like to give it a bit more 'grunt' as its very quiet. Any suggestions?

Try the Akrapovic exhaust from the Czech republic - it will free your exhaust up, improve performance and the sound, plus it contains visually enhancing carbon fibre bits.  You can even pre-test the sound effect of the end result prior to purchase/fitment by trying the rev simulator on their website.

Online reasty

• Crossrunner Master
Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 10:04:31 AM
Hi Steve, only prob with the akrapovic over here is the damn price. Last one  I saw on the bay was about 650 of our finest English quids!
Certainly the honda dealers like to punt them but at around 10% of the bikes purchase price it feels a bit steep. It's a dull drizzly day over here today so my goodies are going to be bolted onto the cr ready for a few miles in March - what ever the weather :001:

Online reasty

• Crossrunner Master
Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 12:54:05 PM
Fitted the beuwolf yesterday and took it out for a couple of hours this morning.
Fitting is simple but I had to use the dremmel to shave a small piece off the heat shield to stop it fouling the centre stand.
When you remove the original silencer it's plain to see what a heaving great lump of tin it is. The new silencer is a polished stainless oval with a carbon end cap. I think the overall aesthetic is greatly improved with the more slimline look. There is a weight saving as well but in the scheme of things I'm sure I would have noticed it without being able to handle both units off the bike.
As for the sound - exactly as it says on the tin. A bit louder but much deeper,  it's exactly as I had hoped for, I can now hear it through lug plugs and helmet, not an antisocial volume I'm pleased  to say.
Paid £200 at the show, I think it had a 10% show discount - happy days

Offline Westyboy

• Crossrunner Junior
  • Bike: Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Cheltenham
Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 03:53:01 PM
I have replaced my standard silencer with an Arrow slip-on, it's legal but also has a removable db killer (baffle) after removing a circlip, sounds awesome & saves about 3.5 kgs into the bargain.
Bought from www.motorcycleraceparts.co.uk for £328,think they're based in Huddersfield, they are an official Arrow dealer, which means they can give the guarantee & back up with all spares, if you buy direct from Italy you don't have that service.
Good Luck Westy

Offline Si Click

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: Honda VFR 800 X
Reply #7 on: April 04, 2015, 05:34:03 PM
Very happy with my Ixil can.  The build quality is excellent with the muffler elements squeezed into two short slash-cut pipes which look superb.  With the removable baffle in place the sound is deep and throaty, releasing the V4 burble, but without being anti-social.  Not sure what the weight saving is, but it is significant.
Best Regards Dave
2012 Honda Crossrunner
1955 Triumph TR2
1999 Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5 ES

Offline Gain

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: 2011 Crossrunner
  • City / Town: NW Leic's
Reply #8 on: April 05, 2015, 08:03:18 PM
My Mrs has got an Ixil twin slash cut pipe on her CR, I bought the pipe off ebay but unfortunately it came from a breaker and had no baffles, it is in my opinion just a bit too noisy, she loves it though and to be fair,
I always know where abouts she is. Any chance you could pop one of the baffles out and post up a picture?
So that I can knock some up, I have tried to order some but get nowhere, I just need the size of the centre pipe really. Nay bother if you can't get 'em out though. 

Offline Si Click

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: Honda VFR 800 X
Reply #9 on: April 05, 2015, 11:59:24 PM
No problem, they can be removed easily.
I'm away on holiday for the next week, but I'll get them out and take some photos and measurements when I get back.
They are basically a pipe attached through the centre of a cup that seats into the exhaust and is held in place by an allen bolt. I'll plan to get you the diameter and length (front and aft) of the pipe, and the depth of the cup. If you need any other dimensions let me know.

I bought mine off EBay too, but they came complete and pristine.
Best Regards Dave
2012 Honda Crossrunner
1955 Triumph TR2
1999 Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5 ES