Recent Gallery Images

From Turkiye

Views: 106
Posted by: forallende
in: Members Albums

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Chain tension  (Read 6673 times)

Offline xrunjoe

• Crossrunner Master
  • Ex crossrunner owner
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Ex CR owner
  • City / Town: Northampton
Chain tension
« on: November 10, 2011, 06:11:19 PM »
Have got 2800 miles on the clock and looking at chain today I felt it was a bit slack. Have read page 70/71 and see its very easy to tighten up - anybody done it so far?Any problems or tips?
Suzuki GSX650F, 1250F, Crossrunner, Kawasaki Z1000SX

Shaunomercy

Re: Chain tension
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 09:43:40 PM »
Not done chain on cross runner but as its a vfr its a doddle.  just undo big nut on end of swing arm and using c scanner look behind rear socket. you will see castleated nut. rotate one way will move wheel forward and other way will move it back.  just move it till u have correct tension and then tighten nut on swing arm.
No alignment probs to worry about.
Job done

Paul

Offline xrunjoe

• Crossrunner Master
  • Ex crossrunner owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 04:19:12 PM »
Adjusted it yesterday - not by much but was a bit slack so worth doing.Easy job (as u say Shaunomercey) - didn't have a torque wrench - but made sure I knew where I was taking the bearing pinch bolt from and to and ensured I tightened it back to original point.

Offline Victor

• Crossrunner Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Singapore
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 05:25:43 AM »
Sorry if this sounds like a silly question, but how do you lube the chain without a centre stand ? (This is my first bike without one).

I've thought about spraying on the lube when the chain is hot and wheeling the bike around till I get it in all the right places... but this circus act doesnt seem as effective as rotating the rear wheel when elevated (as I'm normally used to doing it)  :261:

Offline maxincuk

• Crossrunner Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Swanley
Chain tension
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 06:06:48 AM »
*Originally Posted by Victor [+]
Sorry if this sounds like a silly question, but how do you lube the chain without a centre stand ? (This is my first bike without one).

I've thought about spraying on the lube when the chain is hot and wheeling the bike around till I get it in all the right places... but this circus act doesnt seem as effective as rotating the rear wheel when elevated (as I'm normally used to doing it)  :261:

You are quite right. Without a center stand or any other stand that will lift the rear wheel up, that is about the only option you have. I did it a couple of times and it was no fun at all. On other bikes, you could ask another person to hold the bike while pivoted around the side stand, just enough to allow you to rotate the back wheel, but the CR side stand seems quite fragile for such a manoeuvre and I felt that it may snap if I should try.

Offline strats

• Crossrunner Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Adelaide
Chain tension
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 09:57:00 AM »
*Originally Posted by Victor [+]

Fit a Scottoiler
I don't try to explain to people why I ride a Motorcycle. For those who understand no explanation is needed! For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible..

Offline Victor

• Crossrunner Junior
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Singapore
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 07:17:39 AM »
*Originally Posted by strats [+]
Fit a Scottoiler

Strats, I'm on the fence regarding a Scottoiler. (I'm definately not a skeptic, just undecided  :084:).

Does it lubricate both sides of the chain ? Does the Scottoiler reduce the frequency chain tensioning ? does the chain actually last 7 times longer as the website claims ? In the past, I normally replaced the chain every 10K miles.  and lastly - why is the scottoiler (or a similar device) not offered by any manufacturer as a standard or additional fitment ?   Again, I'm not a skeptic.. just voicing my questions

Offline maxincuk

• Crossrunner Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Swanley
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 11:08:17 AM »
The idea of the Scottoiler is that drops enough oil to keep the chain wet so it easily flings the carp off the chain. It does work by keeping the chain clean but it tends to be messy (perhaps this is why manufacturers don't install it as standard).

Because the chain is wet all the time, it doesn't need lubing on both sides, just topping up a drop at a time. Chain life is significantly better but I think the main advantage is that you don't need to clean and lube your chain ever again.

Once you go over the installation phase (which is putting me off at the moment), you can almost certainly be happy with it.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 11:54:37 AM by maxincuk »

Offline Rocker66

• Crossrunner Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2011 Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Ashford Kent
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 11:49:15 AM »
Coincidentally another forum I'm on also has a tread regarding chain oilers at the moment. The same arguments for and against appear on there as well. Also different types of oiler are being discussed
4 wheels move the body 2 wheels move the soul
Audere est Facere

Offline xrunjoe

• Crossrunner Master
  • Ex crossrunner owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 04:08:57 PM »
There are a lot of alternatives around - see below for some examples ( foreign makesmostly) - worth a look at the Q&A sections on each as there is a lot of comment about how beneficial chain oilers are.
Also prices vary considerably.
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r4/cameleon-motorcycle-chain-oiler/
http://www.pro-oiler.net/
http://www.chainoiler.co.uk/
http://www.tutorochainoiler.com/
http://www.pdoiler.co.uk/spare%20parts.htm
This latter one has a wick applicator rather than a knib (as in the Scott oiler). I talked to the makers at the MCN Show last year and the principle of the oil running down a wick onto the chain seemed better somehow than being "dropped" - but I believe that if the Scottoiler is fitted correctly - the drops are actually applied directly through the knib onto the chain.

Scott Oiler for me I think - but will fit it when its not so cold in the garage  :190: