Author Topic: What Camera!?  (Read 4689 times)

Offline Dolaucothi

• Crossrunner Junior
  • Bike: Crossrunner 14
  • City / Town: Burry Port
What Camera!?
on: April 23, 2015, 08:57:42 PM
I am looking to buy a reasonably priced camcorder to mount on the bike. There seem to be a few cameras around the £40 -£60 mark. Anyone got any good reviews - especially about what mounts are best?
Cheery
Dolaucothi

Offline Tanarthur

• Crossrunner Member
Re: What Camera!?
Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 09:03:30 AM
You can try Black Vue.. Review is good or the other one which is cheaper...

Offline soundhound86

• Crossrunner Junior
Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 10:28:58 PM
The best camera by far for the money is the sj4000 have a look online etc they are fantastic!

Offline Cornersruns

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: VFR800-X (2012)
  • City / Town: Reading
Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 05:18:53 PM
Sj4000 is pretty good BUT - be careful where you buy lots of imitations out there that don't perform as well as SJCAM.  There seems to be a lot of respect for www.foxoffer.com - I've not used them but I've seen a lot of posts saying they are reliable and only sell original SJCAM

It eats storage space, it uses 2 - 3 times the amount of storage for the same time recording as my Drift Ghost HD.  Drift Ghost HD with a 32GB memory card will record all day easily, I need 2 - 3 same size cards for SJ4000.

When I change the battery on SJ4000 settings are lost, i.e date and time has to be reset.  Drift will retain settings.

SJ4000 battery does not last as long as Drift, but last about 90 minutes. (Drift I get reliably 150 minutes out of a battery)

SJ4000 will use most GoPro style mounts, there seem to be a couple of compatibility problems but not many, so loads of options for mounting.

I regard the SJ4000 as a cheap thing that I don't mind loosing or if it dies, for reliability and solid build I much prefer my Drift Ghost.

Offline soundhound86

• Crossrunner Junior
Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 07:55:26 PM
I have not seen the drift I will have to have a look

Offline Cornersruns

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 08:56:52 PM
*Originally Posted by soundhound86 [+]
I have not seen the drift I will have to have a look

Drift is a direct competitor to gopro, so I think your going to be disappointed when you see the price  :002:

When I bought mine the gopro 3 was current.  I chose the drift due to it having an LCD screen for framing, which you had to pay for a separate unit for the gopro.

With the gopro 4 Drift seem to have left behind as they don't have anything that really competes with that level.

For the price I think the SJ4000 is very well regarded, I was just pointing out some of the things that I wish were a bit better on it.  I paid £47 for mine, compared to about £230 for the drift + extra for the waterproof case (prices have come down a little bit now)

Offline Tanarthur

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 07:51:00 PM
I had used the SJCAM before and it seems decent. Check out my post on my 5 Nation ride. Video shot with the SJ4000 wifi. Currently I had switched to Soocoo S60. The whole unit itself is waterproof. And comes with a remote. They also have an option waterproof charging cable. You just need to make sure that the USB charging head is waterproof. 

More details here. http://www.soocoo.cc/portfolio/s60

Offline Chilled

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: VFR800X '15
  • City / Town: Lisbon
Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 10:47:30 AM
How about the Polaroid Cube:084:

It records HD (1080p) up to 90 minutes and has a lot of accessories and mounts.

I have never tried it, or any other action camera, I just came across it the other day.

"Only a biker knows why dogs sticks its head out of a car window"

Offline Cornersruns

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #8 on: July 13, 2015, 11:04:11 AM
*Originally Posted by Tanarthur [+]
Currently I had switched to Soocoo S60. The whole unit itself is waterproof. And comes with a remote. They also have an option waterproof charging cable.
Interesting, essentially very similar hardware to the SJ4000, really useful having the waterproof connector.

I've just come across one which will, hopefully, outperform all the other gopro style clones.

Xiaomi Yi http://www.gearbest.com/action-cameras/pp_153557.html.  Ambrella processor (gopro use these) and a sony sensor.  With this hardware it should outperform all the other cheap gopro style cams, reviews look good.  It appears to be on a par with a gopro 3, the 4 has much higher specs.

I've got one on order and can't wait to try it out. The only way to change settings on this is to use the app and wifi.  It doesn't have a screen so again need the app to compose.

One thing to note about these cheap chinese cams is that the focus seems to be set fairly close, gopro had a similar issue at one time, so distance is quite soft focus.  Easy to rectify if your happy to open the camera and refocus the lense.  It has a standard tripod screw on the case, and if you get the waterproof case it has a gopro mount incorporated.

Offline Tanarthur

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #9 on: July 13, 2015, 07:51:04 PM
Yes. Basically they are the same but I prefer something that is waterproof by itself. And the waterproof cables does helps a lot as it gave me more confident with prolong recording.

* Recent Topics

topic Rear brake caliper
[General Maintenance and Servicing]
BasilBrush
Yesterday at 07:38:47 PM
topic Fork tube protectors.
[Accessories and Products]
Haddo
Yesterday at 10:25:03 AM
topic New Member
[New Members]
musicdpk